US Dollar at 11 year low to Sterling

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
US Dollar $ is now at an 11 year low compared to UK Pound £ ( current exchange rate £1 = $1.91 ).

Forecasts are that this will soon reach $2 to £1.

Does anyone then believe that we shall see cheaper Macs this side of the pond?

Maybe its time to empty the piggy bank and head for the U.S. to pick up a bargain on a shiny new Powerbook

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    **Yawn**

Raise your hand if you don't care!

**DMB raises hand**

Kidding, maybe this would be a good time to get the hookup from a States side AIer. Although your region coding (among other things I imagine) would be messed up.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

**Yawn**

**DMB raises hand**

Kidding, maybe this would be a good time to get the hookup from a States side AIer. Although your region coding (among other things I imagine) would be messed up.

The only problems would be the plug (the bricks are 100-240 already) and the keyboard. Region coding is not fixed from the beginning but something you can change a certain number of times.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Very tempting ... could save up to £800 on 15 inch SD Powerbook!

£800

• Reply 4 of 15
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The only problems would be the plug (the bricks are 100-240 already) and the keyboard. Region coding is not fixed from the beginning but something you can change a certain number of times.

One additional problem would be warranty. At leat in continental Europe, you get much better warranty than in the states (if you don't buy AppleCare).

And getting a Powerbook repaired on warranty might be a little hard if you bought it on another continent.

Still, the Apple Euro prices stink
  • Reply 5 of 15
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

you can use any apple plug. so the one you got with the other mac .. or with ipod etc.

or any power adapter "visitor > uk" type.

region code is not set untill YOU insert a movie dvd the first time. YOU set it. so it is EXACTLY as if you bought it in uk.

2 things though:

1) packaging. if you bring the mac with original packaging, the custom guys will add VAT if they see it.

2) THE WARRANTY FOR LAPTOPS BOUGHT IN USA IS 12 MONTH. UK AND EU 24 MONTHS. That means that if you are keeping the laptop for over 12 months, you DO NEED Apple Care = another 400 $.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

**Yawn**

**DMB raises hand**

I definitelly DO care. When I will change my UK salary to $$ on the way to home.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    man, my friends are over in England right now. those beers must be costing them a fortune.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

man, my friends are over in England right now. those beers must be costing them a fortune.

3 £ for a guinness. in a place that is not particularly in. (a pint)
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

3 £ for a guinness. in a place that is not particularly in. (a pint)

I'd go broke.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    you will love ireland .. as everything that is something in ££ here is in euros there. like .. a something at starbucks is 2,79 $ in us, is 2,79 £ hee is 2,79 euros in ireland.

so, guinness _i think_ is 2-3 e there.

ps. how do i make euro sign in us keyboard??? heeeelp!!!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Funny, I had been thinking about this for the last week.

I can fly to NewYork and back on British Airways for £200, if I accept a cancelled flight, on about < week notice. A Dual 2.0 G5 costs about £1600 in dollars, compared to £2300 in the UK. Even if I get busted coming through customs, Id have to pay £375, which is 5% import duty, and then 17.5% vat. Worst case scenario, the G5 would cost £1975.

Factor in £200 flight and £100 for a 1-2 nights accomodation and food and i will break even.

So I was wondering how do I get a new G5 through customs, without being busted? I guess the box is pretty BIG!

Actually, the worst case scenario, is that customs can sieze your goods. That would suck!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    just take it out of the box and throw it in your suitcase. it's not THAT big. just tell them you couldn't afford to bring your laptop.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Woohooo !!! hit US$0.80 cents to the oz dollar yesterday, keep going my little beauty and release new macs already ! Pretty soon we will be buying them cheaper than you local guys

Maybe I should have a look on amazon for some stuff
  • Reply 14 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Wondering how many iPods i can get into my travel stuff...

Edit: to type Euro on non-European keyboards, go to Edit->Special Characters: ?. Fantastic.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ups, found. ? = option shift 2 in US keyboard.

yea, ive once flew with 2 laptops both in hand baggage. haha.

once with 2 cameras (same model), 2 ipods, a laptop and a ton of other stuff. and no probs with it.

just put the g5 to your bag. wrap you clothes around it so it wont get scratches. if you love the box, ground ship it empty (or filled with anything else you want to ship), its not so fast but its cheap and as empty they wont say anything.

laptops .. the warranty (12 instead of 24 mos) makes the difference

in US you also pay the sales tax. you can maybe get it back if you have orignal boxes at airport.

sales tax can be 10 % or even over. to avoid it, order stuff online from a thing that does not have a physical store in the state that you are at. so if you are lets say anywhere but NY you can order from jandr.com and they wont add teh sales tax. if you want from them .. stay in a hotel in new jersey and ship it there, so no sales tax. (i think).. or use macmall or similar. apple shops even online have in every state the sales tax. but i guess the pleasure for getting it from the apple store can be worth that difference in fatigue.