Mac: doing very little, but very slow.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm currently browsing Appleinsider on a single page and a few tabs in Safari, no other processes running (except terminal, for top, no Classic). My Mac's hard drive is grinding away and typed text takes about 2s to appear. My Mac is a Rev. A 12" PowerBook, 640MB RAM, 10.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Go into Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type

Code:

That will tell you what is using the most processing power in your computer (activity monitor will give you the same info).

Activity monitor will also tell you the I/O of your HD, so you might want to check that out too.

Edit: One more thing, in Terminal, also type:

Code:

diskutil info disk0

And look at the line that says "SMART Status:"

If after that line it says anything but "verified" you're in trouble. Backup now and don't use your computer unless you have to until you get a new HD or take it to an Apple store.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    top reports that Safari is taking 60% CPU time, no other major processes. The cause of the grinding appears to be pageins/pageouts, which is disconcerting.

There's a graphical wrapper for top called "BigTop", in Mac OS or the Developer Tools.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

One more thing, in Terminal, also type:

Code:

diskutil info disk0

And look at the line that says "SMART Status:"

If after that line it says anything but "verified" you're in trouble.

I was just curious about what would appear on my Terminal.

I typed as recommended and that is the result:

Uwe-Knotts-Computer:~ Boss$ diskutil info disk0

Device Node: /dev/disk0

Device Identifier: disk0

Mount Point:

Volume Name:

Partition Type: Apple_partition_scheme

Bootable: Not bootable

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: ATA

SMART Status: Verified

Total Size: 7.0 GB

Free Space: 0.0 B

Read Only: No

Ejectable: No

OS 9 Drivers: Yes

Low Level Format: Not Supported

What the heck does that mean?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it means that you have to get a bigger hard drive....

you should have at least 700megs of free space at all times...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The zero bytes free line (probably) refers to space on the drive not allocated to partitions, rather than unused space in the file systems on the partitions.

"Verified" means that your drive is fine (as far as SMART can tell).

My Mac's doing it again: I'm having flashback to typing on an LC II here. Safari is taking 80% CPU when I'm typing, and text takes a couple of seconds to appear.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

[snip]

What the heck does that mean?

In short, it means that your drive isn't going to fail. The only reason you should ever worry about it is if it doesn't say "verified". SMART is a way of checking the physical state of your hard drive.

If you ever see something there that doesn't say "verified", immediately back up all your data and don't use the computer unless you absolutely need to until you've replaced the HD or taken it to an Apple Store.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

top reports that Safari is taking 60% CPU time, no other major processes. The cause of the grinding appears to be pageins/pageouts, which is disconcerting.

There's a graphical wrapper for top called "BigTop", in Mac OS or the Developer Tools.

Er, you could also just use Process Viewer in /Applications/Utilities... it's precisely that, a GUI wrapper over top. A little nicer to use, too.

What *is* your free space like on your disk? (And yes, Safari 1.2 has some *ahem* issues when typing text into a text field, the silly bugger.)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

it means that you have to get a bigger hard drive....

you should have at least 700megs of free space at all times...

Yes paul, i will give my beloved little beast (imac g3) what it deserves - soon, promised
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I have 40GB free on a 60GB disk.

Clearing Safari's (application and browser) cache seems to have done the trick.