At what play count are iTMS songs worth the cost?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just wondering when people feel like they got their money's worth with song from iTMS. on one hand, i feel like the play count should get up to over 99 plays to be worth it, but then again, just purchasing from apple alone is worth 99 cents also. anyone else?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    are you kidding? the highest *Anything* in my entire library has is maybe 30 play counts.

What makes something worth it to me is if I listen to it a month after I buy it.....then a month after that....then a month after that...etc.

lasting value, not playcount.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

are you kidding? the highest *Anything* in my entire library has is maybe 30 play counts.

What makes something worth it to me is if I listen to it a month after I buy it.....then a month after that....then a month after that...etc.

ya... i forgot that people have thousands and thousands of songs... i just now hit 1000, and 99 plays for a song is pretty reasonable.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I have to agree with robot, I am a music junkie, a guitarist in a few band/ projects, and I have been using iTunes since it was first available. My play count goes back to aug 2002 when jaguar was installed. I have only 12 songs that are over 50, and 2 over 60, out of 3000. I am sure it would be more if my ipod kept track and sync'd but I don't think it does.

yes, lasting value, not play count.

BTW, most of my favorite songs are from my purchased playlist. I really can pick out song that will last by sampling them on itms.

I love this software/service.

have fun, Randy
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

I am sure it would be more if my ipod kept track and sync'd but I don't think it does.

if you use auto update then all your ratings and play counts sync from ipod to mac and vice versa.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    I guess I just misunderstand the purpose of the poll or something. When I buy music from the iTunes store, it's music I know I want to own, so it's instantly worth it to me. I'm purchasing new music by artists I already like, or I'm filling in gaps in my collection of music by various artists. Or, in the case of the Pepsi downloads, I'm finding songs I've grown to like over the years but never got around to buying the albums years ago.

Are there people here who just buy everything in sight and then figure out later if they like it or not? A 30 second preview of a song by a band I don't care about wouldn't be enough for me to decide if I wanted to buy the track (or the $9.99 album) or not.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

I've got one that's over 250. I wanted something quiet playing so that I wouldn't completely fall asleep. It didn't work and when a woke up several hours later it was still going.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ha! Yeah, I used to do that, but that was on my iMac, I had some high playcounts of some stuff...

I found that what worked best, I set a playlist for the amount of time I wanted to sleep, then, When the music stopped, it'd wake me up, kind of a reverse alarm clock
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

ha! Yeah, I used to do that, but that was on my iMac, I had some high playcounts of some stuff...

I found that what worked best, I set a playlist for the amount of time I wanted to sleep, then, When the music stopped, it'd wake me up, kind of a reverse alarm clock

Interesting. Someday when I've got nothing to do I'll have to try that.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    somewhat off topic, but i just finished rating ALL my songs! hooray for smart playlists
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I think it really only works if you usually listen to a lot of music, and/or you usually listen to music when you sleep ya know?