firewire compactflash reader/writer

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there any compactflash reader/writer that uses firewire? I've only found readers. I would also like to have the ability to read/write microdrives in the future, but that's not very important at the moment.

Also, is it really worth the price-difference between USB and Firewire? I was thinking about using it with a 512MB-CF-Card like the Sandisk-ultra.

Any comments?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Future-ex-pc-user,

Yes, there is. I've got this one:

http://www.addonics.com/products/fla..._digidrive.asp

It works OK for the most part; sometimes the drive/card doesn't get detected right away. When that happens I just unplug the drive and plug it in again. This drive takes all kinds of flash memory; Compact Flash, SmartMedia, Sony memory stick, SecureDigital. It's supported natively under Mac OSX, so no drivers are needed. The only other "gotcha" is that if I have the drive plugged in and I try to sync my iPod the iPod won't sync. Again, not the end of the world. Oh, and firewire is MUCH faster than USB! Hope this helps. Welcome to the Mac world!

Marc
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I have this one. According to the waffle:
    Quote:

The FireWire ImageMate Reader provides the ability to write data to and read data from flash memory

Pretty good IMHO. Faster than my old USB reader .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

Is there any compactflash reader/writer that uses firewire? I've only found readers.

future-ex-pc-user: All CF readers function as writers too. So you already found what you're looking for.

Personally, I use a Lexar FireWire CF reader (and writer), which sells for $49 at the Apple Store. (I bought mine for $29 with a $20 coupon that I got for renewing my .Mac membership.) After swtiching to a FireWire reader, I cannot explain why I put up with a slow-ass USB 1.0 reader for over two years. What was I thinking?

FireWire rules!

Escher