New Mac DVD Ripper out!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yade X English was just released. It's the first Mac Ripper to deal with the RCE protection found on many Region 1 Disc. Enjoy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    i use dvdbackup to rip my dvds, it lets you remove all region coding whatsoever
  • Reply 2 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, I use DVDBackup combined with ffmpegX for my DVDs. However, I will try this out because it removes a step. Hopefully you can queue up stuff. I'll have to try it out when I get home.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

i use dvdbackup to rip my dvds, it lets you remove all region coding whatsoever

DVDbackup DOES NOT remove RCE. It will change the Region Code but not the RCE Checking. Up until now you had to use the French version of Yade X or the PC programs Ifoedit or DVDdecrypter to remove RCE Checking. Read up on it at the DVDRhelp Forum.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    whoops, i thought it did, thanks tom
  • Reply 5 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    So Yade can rip DVDs of a different region to the one currently set on the drive?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Region control still has to pass through the firmware of your DVD drive. Unless this program overrides that (I don't think it does) you will still only be able to read DVD's from your region. That control is independent of your software.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tombtomb Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

So Yade can rip DVDs of a different region to the one currently set on the drive?

I don't know.... try it and see I do know it removes the RCE Checking from my Region 1 Discs

The way I understand it, since you don't have to play the DVD first (like DVDBackup) it should work. Another recently released Ripper called Mac the Ripper also doesn't require you to play the DVD first and claims to work with DVDs from different regions. Unfortunately, MTR doesn't remove RCE Checking, yet. They are working on it.

Try it and see, just make sure to post your results
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Region control is primarily checked between the DVD disk and the DVD firmware. The OS or any software you install does can not interfere with it. The only way I know how to play other regions is to install modified firmware to your drive. I did on mine but I have yet to run into a non-region 1 disk.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Region control is primarily checked between the DVD disk and the DVD firmware. The OS or any software you install does can not interfere with it. The only way I know how to play other regions is to install modified firmware to your drive. I did on mine but I have yet to run into a non-region 1 disk.

Yep, I've only run into Region 1 DVDs as well. So I made my own Region 2 DVDs just to try it. I ran outta cigs waiting on a reply It works. You don't run into the Region problem until you launch the DVD Player. Set the machine not to launch the DVD player on DVD insertion. Since you don't have to run the DVD Player to use Yade X or MTR, you don't have the Region problem on the Computer. The disc will not work on a set-top box without being the proper region. Right now, Yade X seems to be the best choice 'cause a region problem was found with Mac the Ripper. Once they get the Ripper straightened out, it should be the favorite
  • Reply 10 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Heh, I should have been faster off the mark.

I'll have to nab some of my flatmates' region 1 DVDs and try ripping 'em tomorrow. I've got to use my 60GB hard drive for something.

How fast does it rip incorrect region DVDs? Near realtime (on what CPU) ?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So I presume this is why DVDBackup wouldn't work with Finding Nemo and Leon the Professional? I'll retry those.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    OK people, Mac The Ripper has been finished. It's now, IMHO , the best Ripper ever on the Mac. Featuring the only automatic Region and RCE Status display on the Mac. Enjoy!

• Reply 13 of 14
    Handbrake?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Completely different apps. Mac the Ripper creates DVD compliant files, HandBreak creates a MPEG-4 or H264 movie. Depending on your final target output, you would choose one or the other.