ethernet port fried???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm not sure what the heck is going on. But my internet and network connection is screwed up. I'll only get sporadic connection both at home and at school with my ibook. I can not get a connection at all right now. Is there a way through OS X to check my ethernet port to see that it is working properly? Could it be an application problem?

When I try to connect to the school server I get a 1029 error message.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Sorry if this sounds undermining but...

Do you use the same network cable at home and at school?

also...

If you were to ping another computer directly connected to you is there any packet loss?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Sorry if this sounds undermining but...

Do you use the same network cable at home and at school?

also...

If you were to ping another computer directly connected to you is there any packet loss?

Different cables.

Don't know about pinging, I am a computer novice.

edit: searched around, found network utilities, tried pinging the computer next to me. Told me no route to host.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Just wondering... do you still have Apple Care?

Well that sounds like a pickel...

Ok... if you look into your network port on your iBook... do you see 8 pins in a row all in order? Look to see if one has been bent, or borken off. It should look like this close up...

Anyway I would hate to be the one to call this a logic board flaw... so if anyone else has any other suggestions please help this guy out.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Looked at the port all the pins are there and they look fine. I do have Applecare. I plan on talking with the Apple liason at CompUSA tommorrow.

Tonight I plan on finishing my backups of my digital images.

Thanks for the troubleshooting.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    No problem...

Good luck! (hehe with compUSA you'll need it)