Noticible speed difference between 1.25 and 1ghz PB?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm more interested in comparing the two speeds in the current Powerbook models (i.e. not Aluminum vs. Titanium).

Theoretically it's 25% faster, but I wonder if that extra 250 mhz translates to much on a day to day use. Do windows feel much snappier? or will just adding more RAM even things out.

Primary use is surfing, writing, e-mails, watching movies, with the occasional use of Quark, Illustrator and Photoshop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    The 1Ghz will be fine for that...

Remember that the (keyword) laptop is not 25% faster... just it's processer. Overall system performence my not be 25% faster. While the extra 250Mhz will help here and there... it won't up your Quake FPS rate by 25%...

If you have the cash go for it. While it may not be that much faster... you will still note a difference, and most apps will enjoy the extra number crunching power.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    For the works you do you won't really see much big difference. If the AlBook is at 1.6GHz or higher then you will see the difference.

Wait for G5 PB

Any machine with Moto's CPU now a day aren't really worth the cost
  • Reply 3 of 11
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

For the works you do you won't really see much big difference. If the AlBook is at 1.6GHz or higher then you will see the difference.

Wait for G5 PB

G5's might be a while in coming.

And the G4 is a decent laptop chip. Quit being mean
  • Reply 4 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Leonis just gets a woody when he bashes Motorola. I think it's some kind of new fetish in the making.

If you are able to get Edu pricing, I think the PowerBooks are a good value. That's not to say I think right now is the perfect time to buy one, just that it's a good value.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Oh yeah, Moto bashing is pretty much part of my daily life
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I see a sign of anti-moto.com

I like the G4 personally.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I like "motosucks.com" better
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

I'd be interested to see a comparison between the 130nm G4's and the 130nm G5's as far as computing speed per watt dissipated.

I think the G4's might win.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I'd be interested to see a comparison between the 130nm G4's and the 130nm G5's as far as computing speed per watt dissipated.

I think the G4's might win.

For laptop sure G4 will win on wattage.

To me there's one very important thing that G5 has which G4 doesn't: High Bandwidth

Oops...I forgot we are talking about laptop......desktop theory won't apply here..... I better shut up now
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

For laptop sure G4 will win on wattage.

To me there's one very important thing that G5 has which G4 doesn't: High Bandwidth

Oops...I forgot we are talking about laptop......desktop theory won't apply here..... I better shut up now

Yeah, don't get me wrong here. . . I think the G5 is great. especially now that it's 90nm. When the new models debut I may try to trade my older TiBook 500 for an iBook G4 and then pick up a desktop G5.

But then again, I might just wait for the PBG5 before I make a decision. In that case, the powerbook family will grow to 3.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I should open my mouth again

As for why I have no hope in Moto is that I don't really think we are gonna see 90nm G4 in the next 10 years at least. 65nm maybe 20 years away