What's the deal with the low-carb craze?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is it me, or has this gotten completely out of control just in the last year or so in the US? There are now low-carb restaurants, in the grocery store there are "low-carb" signs and foods with "low-carb" on the boxes. It's gone from a scientifically disreputable money-making scam to a completely mainstream phenomenon. Half the people I know are on low-carb diets, and even the other half talk about avoiding carbs.

I'm even sick of the word itself. Carb. Carb this carb that. Low carb high carb avoid the carbs.

Sure, sugary sweet foods like candy pack a lot of calories in to a small space and have little nutritional value. And sugar is a carbohydrate. But what about bread and potatoes and pasta and rice? We should be eating less calories and fat, not less "carbs." And we should be eating more fruits and veggies, not more meat.

I'm looking forward to the carb backlash. I think carbs are cool. I'm going to start a new high-carb diet fad. Who's with me?

Some linkage about the explosion of low-carb crap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/19/health/19CARB.html?hp

http://www.suntimes.com/output/food/foo-news-low18.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    So we know that a high carb diet is no good. And what is the opposite of high carb? Low carb/no carb.

The fact remains that unless you are being monitored by a dietician it is super easy to enter ketosis. So BRussell, I say give it a few months and when people start dying because their livers cease up in acetone then we will have normal dieting practices.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Back in 1992 i was amazed during my trip into the US, by the number of low fat food. Impossible to find a normal sauce or mayonnaise : just low fat food.

This is just marketing : eating better do not mean eat crippled food, but eating good food in balanced quantities.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    I think that the craze is due to a couple of factors. For one thing, a lot of people seem to like crazes. It's like watching American Idol and then talking about it around the watercooler (or whatever) at work the next day. It may be bland and boring, but it'll do as a talking point when the weather has been exhausted. Also, people like the illusion of not having to limit the intake of food that our reptile brain commands us to eat. It's easier to think "well...I can't eat any bread on this Atkins thing, but I can shovel plateloads of bacon into my face!" then it is to train yourself to stop eating before you feel stuffed and occasionally get some exercise.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, it makes sense. You can cram a whole lot more sugars in your gullet before you get a full signal than you can fats. Fats make you feel full, so you eat less in total. Since fats and sugars have the same energy carrying capacity, you get less calories. Sneaky, huh?

Sugars are also chemically addictive. Seriously. The body and brain's reaction to concentrated sugars is really damned close to that of other chemical addicitions. Not so with fats and oils.

Also, if you make raw sugars available to your body via the digestive system, it'll burn those first, before ever touching your fat deposits. If you eat fat, it's less readily available to your cells as energy, and your body will start in on the fatty tissues as well.

Of course, all this is is a pendulum overswing against the sugar-laden foods we eat en masse, when a balanced diet low in refined sugars, moderate in fats, high in proteins and fiber has been *the same damned message we've been getting for years* from the non-fad nutritionists.

Eat your lean meat, eat your fruits and veggies, lay off the sweets. Simple.

The only thing new here is "*gasp* Fats won't kill you!" They're okay in moderation, but of course people just plain like being pigs. If they're going to be pigs, better they be so with fats than sugars, if their only goal is weight loss. Ketosis, cardiac problems, etc, all are other tradeoffs, but hey. It's not an anti-ketosis nutritional plan, it's a *DIET*.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    People want a magic bullet, and snake-oil salesmen are there to sell it to them. Nobody really wants to hear that if they want to have a body like the people they see on TV that they will basically have to exercise like a fiend and diet stringently for the rest of their lives. They'd much rather hear that they can pop a few TrimSpa's and go a few weeks eating cheeseburgers with no bun and they will magically watch the pounds disappear- and they'll stay off.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yes, it is ridiculous. It seems marketing teams have decided that a smart, yet simple approach to good diet and weight loss is lost on the masses. Granted, there are a lot of people who buy into this, but I can't imagine that carbs are the new evil, replacing fat, replacing calories, replacing carbs -- oops, I mean sugar.

People, limit your intake of processed starches like white bread, white rice, etc. Whole grains are usually fine. Avoid too much sugar as an ingredient. Naturally occuring sugars like in fruit is OK. Limit the amount of animal fat you take in, that's the "bad" fat. Plant fat is the "good" fat. Vegetables are basically "Free" because they're low-energy and high-nutrient, and even fatty, high protein or starchy ones are still fairly good for you. You can fill up with veggies and moderate the other stuff more.

All of this assumes you know what common sense is. You can have some of everything, just not too much of anything, and avoid soe things more than others. If it's processed food, it's not as good for you.

The point of a low-carb diet is to limit the processed sugars and starches that are almost ubiquitousin our cooking. I can't remember the details but I think the idea is that your body is too efficient at breaking down these processed carbs, it never gets around to burning fat, and it can't use all the energy from the broken down starches, which turn to fat, which aren't burned... a cycle. Also, processed carbs aren't satisfying as far as your hormones are concerned, and you can't tell when you're hungry or finished very well when you eat a lot of them alone. Meat and protein gives people a sense of satisfaction or fullness.

Atkin's is too extreme though.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    there are crazier ones out there, though like the Stillman Diet

• Reply 8 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Of course, there's also the point that if you eat a zero-fat diet, your body thinks it's in a famine stage, and will start packing it on on purpose. Same with cholesterol.

I had a reading of 248 a couple of years ago, which shocked me. No eggs, lean meat only, lots of soy, veggies, etc, etc, etc. Doing everything right.

Doc had me go to a nutritionist. "You're doing everything right.... except you eat cheese? Okay, cut that out and see what happens."

So I'm on as zero a cholesterol diet as is possible to get on, for 8 weeks, and go get retested.

I ask the doc "How is this possible??" "Oh, your body is making it." "Wait. My body makes it?" "Yup." "Okay, so the cholesterol in my digestive system is *not* absorbed into my bloodstream, but broken down, and then my body *makes* it from the components?" "Yup." "So if my body thinks I'm *lacking* in cholesterol in my diet, it'll probably overcompensate by making *more*, right?" *blank stare*

Doc puts me on Lipitor. I end up with the most *GODAWFUL* leg cramps, I lost 15 pounds of raw muscle mass in three weeks, it's bad. I call my sister-in-law who runs clinical trials for exactly this class of drugs and she says "You're allergic - about 10% of the population is, get your doc to change you out." I call him up and say "Look, this isn't working, can you prescribe something else?" "Leg pains you say? Okay, come on in, and I'll write you a prescription for a painkiller so you can sleep."

Needless to say, I'm no longer seeing that doctor. I immediately went off the Lipitor, and started eating two eggs every morning for a month.

Go figure.

Our bodies aren't empty vessels that just are made of whatever we toss in them - they're adaptive. If we starve ourselves past a certain stage, they'll pack on storage fat. If we reduce our cholesterol intake to zero, they'll overcompensate, thinking we're not getting enough in our diet for our bodily functions.

Balanced diet, balanced exercise. Waaaaaaaay too much work for most people to handle.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    another point is that american culture seems to have shifted to "more work hours per week to succeed" with every passing year. that means less time to get the other part of the regimen everyone agrees upon -- exercise. i mean, when i was working REGULAR 60 hour weeks, mostly sitting in front of a computer, i was seriously thinking about a diet fad, because i sure wasn't going to be able to suddenly get energized or get more walking in during the day.

you want people to be healthier in the states? encourage gym/spa/vacation benefits for employees (not just a fuggin' 10% discount from bally's -- hell, if i ever have my own business, i will try like hell to have one room set aside for exercise equipment and a healthy snack bin, open pre-9 am, lunch, and 5-7 pm. i'd bet my workers would skyrocket in health, well-being, self-esteem, you name it), and stop working people to the bone so they can have more energy on their downtime to do something -- ANYthing -- physical.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    It is pretty rediculous. Now they're putting Low Carb stickers on things that don't even have carbs.... At Publix the Salmon has the stickers on them. It's just stupid how these diet crazes spread. I've even seen jelly beans that announce on the packaging that they're fat free.... well, yeah. There's no fat in jelly beans... it's the sugar that you need to worry about.

I think these companies are counting on the ignorance of the consumers to sell their products.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Carbs suck... face it people... all that bread and beer and soda pop... pasta... sugar... it'll kill ya... it's all highly processed foods

but you know what the best rule is...

everything in moderation.

but this country is portion crazy... every see the size of a bowl of pasta at olive garden??? that's like 6 portions...

a portion of anything should be about the size of the palm of your hand,

If you're eating lots of fibre and fruits and vegetables, normal amounts of carbs, it won't hurt you...

by the way... 4 of the top 10 fattest cities are in Texas.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Back in 1992 i was amazed during my trip into the US, by the number of low fat food. Impossible to find a normal sauce or mayonnaise : just low fat food.

This is just marketing : eating better do not mean eat crippled food, but eating good food in balanced quantities.

I think you were witnessing part of what brought on this new "low-carb" phase. It was clear that we had too many calories in our diets, and much of that was coming from fat. So they started coming out with all these artificial low-fat foods, which, unfortunately often replaced fat with sugar and ended up having just as many calories.

So I bet part of this low-carb phase is a backlash against the low-fat craze. Which is too bad, because, artificially low-fat diet foods notwithstanding, a low-fat diet is much better than a low-carb diet, in general.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Actually, it makes sense. You can cram a whole lot more sugars in your gullet before you get a full signal than you can fats. Fats make you feel full, so you eat less in total. Since fats and sugars have the same energy carrying capacity, you get less calories. Sneaky, huh?

I think that's true re: sugary sweets, but not breads and pastas. Those certainly fill you up.

But I think you're exactly right that the only way to lose weight through diet is to cut back on calories. But I bet it's a different mechanism than the one you're talking about. I think most people get such a large portion of their diet from breads, pasta, grains, etc., that when you restrict so many basic foods in your diet, you end up just getting less calories overall. The problem is that we should be getting at least half our calories from carbohydrates.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I ask the doc "How is this possible??" "Oh, your body is making it." "Wait. My body makes it?" "Yup." "Okay, so the cholesterol in my digestive system is *not* absorbed into my bloodstream, but broken down, and then my body *makes* it from the components?" "Yup." "So if my body thinks I'm *lacking* in cholesterol in my diet, it'll probably overcompensate by making *more*, right?" *blank stare*

Yeah, that's pretty basic stuff that the cholesterol you eat doesn't have much to do with your blood cholesterol level. The fat you eat does, but not the cholesterol you eat.

But I'm pretty skeptical that there's some kind of reverse effect. I've never heard that one before.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

It is pretty rediculous. Now they're putting Low Carb stickers on things that don't even have carbs....

I think these companies are counting on the ignorance of the consumers to sell their products.

They've been doing this at the cafeteria at work- "NEW!! Lo-Carb chicken!"

Like the chicken before was so high in carbs..
  • Reply 16 of 47
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The portions thing is definitely a problem. People see it as value for their money. We make jokes about the smaller portions at finer restaurants that are better-prepared, taste and look better, and cost much more. But they feel just right when you eat them, aren't they?

I have a friend who, no joke, cannot tell the difference between the food at the local Chinese buffet and the Four Seasons. He appreciates quantity only. We finally humored him one day by going to a buffet he swore was excellent and two weeks later, my body is still getting back at me. I can't make buffet-style dining work for me. I eat one plate (nevermind how bad the horse feed is) and I'm full, maybe a dessert.

Part of the problem with a non-balanced approach to eating and diet mentality is that people tend to overcompensate in one area for lacking in another. A lot of Atkins dieters eat a 16 ounce steak instead of an 8 ounce steak and a potato. Others eat the bottomless bowl of bread and pasta at the olive garden or drown their salad in dressing in lieu of eating a "full" meal in their eyes.

I'm trying to lose weight right now, but I'm simply cutting out some things like soda and fries, and not snacking as much. First you have to figure out how much you can eat and maintain weight. Then, if you can eliminate 500 calories a day -- that's a soda and fries worth -- you can lose 1 pound a week. 1 pound = 3500 calories (don't ask me the equivalent in joules!) That's a good rate of weight loss. I studied what the calorie counts were for some foods one weekend, but I'm too lazy to be precise, and I don't need to be that careful about calorie counts, so long as I don't eat out of boredom, I'm doing fine. I can't imagine giving up carbs though. They're just too good! When Atkins dieters go off the wagon, they really fall off and roll of a cliff. Without eating what you like, you end up binge eating and making the extreme diet thing even worse for you.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Powerdoc thank you!

Quote:

"Crippled Food' is just about the best description of our typical modern diets I have ever heard.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    It's amazing how much weight I lost just by cutting soda out of my diet.

Drank lots of water... lost at least 10 pounds by doing that and eating wraps instead of sandwiches with a huge roll.

There's a big difference between complex carbs like that in vegetables and whole grains then what's in white bread and pastas.

I'd much rather have a nice peice of prefectly prepared tuna and sauteed vegetables than a breaded and fried cutlet of chicken, a side of fries and some mac and cheese and about 4 rolls.

There's one thing that no one can deny about Manhattan... the food rocks! As soon as you leave most major cities... the food quality goes way down and the portion sizes double!
  • Reply 19 of 47
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

They've been doing this at the cafeteria at work- "NEW!! Lo-Carb chicken!"

Like the chicken before was so high in carbs..

Back when "low fat" was the hotter buzz phrase, I remember seeing things like "low fat" breadsticks, which were labeled differently, and priced higher, than the "regular" breadsticks... yet both products had exactly the same amount of fat listed for exactly the same serving size (by weight and by number of breadsticks). It seemed almost a certainty that the only difference between the low-fat and the regular breadsticks was the packaging and the price, while the contents remained the same.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

I'm looking forward to the carb backlash. I think carbs are cool. I'm going to start a new high-carb diet fad. Who's with me?

i learned all about the high-carb diet in Madison. it's called "Beer".