Odd, unpredictable Sleep mode on my PowerBook...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This isn't a huge, pressing thing (but it might turn in to one): I never shut my PowerBook off (well usually), but it seems like lately I'll put it to sleep as I'm climbing into bed and in about 5 minutes it'll pop back awake on its own.

Then it'll put itself to sleep at the configured time, but I've gotten up at 2 or 3am to get a drink and it'll be making this gentle, soft whirring sound...and when I touch it, it's HOT AS HELL!!!

But there's no rhyme or reason to it because I'll also just let it go to sleep on it's own and it'll do the same thing. Or not. Totally random. Some nights it'll stay asleep, the light will pulse and it doesn't heat up.

It's just the random, unpredictable nature of this issue that bugs me.

For the record: 15" SuperDrive PowerBook, 512 RAM, Panther (including all the latest updates, even yesterday's iSync) and no other problems to speak of.

Any ideas? Lately (the past week or so) I've actually been shutting it completely down when I go to bed, just because I don't like the idea of it sitting there for 8 hours, whirring away and getting pancake-griddle hot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    The only thing I have noticed about mine, is that if I shut the lid then unplug the mouse it wakes up again, but goes back to sleep almost instantly. And very rarely I can wake it up and the screen stays off. The rest is working, cos I hear the login sound for iChat. Shutting the lid for 5 seconds and re-opening it solves this tho.

PS. My PB could go out and get wasted at the nearest bar. Invite everyone back for a party, and I prolly wouldn't wake up... not sure if that helps
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

The only thing I have noticed about mine, is that if I shut the lid then unplug the mouse it wakes up again, but goes back to sleep almost instantly. And very rarely I can wake it up and the screen stays off. The rest is working, cos I hear the login sound for iChat. Shutting the lid for 5 seconds and re-opening it solves this tho.

PS. My PB could go out and get wasted at the nearest bar. Invite everyone back for a party, and I prolly wouldn't wake up... not sure if that helps

Mine does the same thing (15" Al 1ghz) when i unplug the mouse. Also happens if i bump the desk while its sleeping and the mouse moves.

It seems to go back to sleep pretty fast though.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

... in about 5 minutes it'll pop back awake on its own.

pscates: Random behavior like that freightens me. What applications are you running when you put your PowerBook to sleep? Is it possible that one particular application, if left running, wakes the 'Book?

For example, I had a sleep problem with my iBook/500. For a period of about two months, it would take several minutes to sleep after I shut the lid. It took me forever to figure out that the nightly builds of Camino (my default browser at the time, which was always running), prevented instantaneous sleep. Once I quit Camino before sleeping my iBook, sleep was instantaneous as expected. (For the record: more recent nightlies of Camino have long resolved this issue.)

My hunch is that you are running a program (or dockling or menu item) that is robbing your PB of sound sleep.

Escher