G5 system preferences window opens randomly

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My new G5 1.8 dual is a week old today. For the past few days I have been assisting in English as a second language lessons (talking with tech support) Trying to cure this I have reset permissions, reinstalled OSX, unplugged all peripherals except keyboard, and mouse. What happens is my light on lower left of my Apple 20" starts to flicker and the system preferences screen pops up, at varying intervals. By diabling the touch switch to turn the monitor (apple tech article id 58813) this seems to stop the system preferences window from opening. My question is this a monitor or a computer issue. When I was trying to track down the problem I rebooted the computer and the system started up with the fans running a HIGH speed (LOUD) and I had a "BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH". I have had the monitor running on my ex p4 2.4 windows box with out any issues except for the display light flashing 2 short 1 long. This stopped when I lost power. when I restarted the flashing stopped. When the system preferences screen comes up I am noticing that the resolution setting is not a blue highlight, but gray! I feel that this is a computer issue, any suggestions? Thank YOU!