Mute Sound Only For Safari

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
With more and more ad banners using sound, is there any way to mute Java?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    That's the most confounding, mind-f**k question ever. Java? Ad banners? Ad banners are usually flash or Gifs.

I use privoxy to block ad banners (on sites such as this one!). However, I've heard good things about pithhelmet. I rarely see ad banners, and never see them on sites I frequent. Highly recommended.

1. Get and install Privoxy for OS X.

2. My user.action and default.action are available. Drop these into your /Library/Privoxy/ folder and start up privoxy by either rebooting, or in Terminal.app typing:

Code:

sudo /Library/Privoxy/StartPrivoxy.command

3. Open System Prefs -> Network -> Configure -> Proxies, and add 127.0.0.1:8118 as your http proxy.... no more ads.

You've seen the before; here's the after (46KB screenshot)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Some sites want you to see their banners though as that is how they make money
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Okay, maybe I didn't phrase the question very well.

I should have said "banner ads" instead of "ad banners". I referenced Java because I thought that the banners contained Java Scripts to play music.

Thanks for answering the question, though.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Ahh... Java is not the same as javascript (Javascript is an unfortunate, misleading name)

I believe the banners that ail you are flash-based.

Ast3r3x: All sites want you to see their banners as that is how they make money

They make money when you click the banner, but I would never click the banner in the first place, which is why I block them...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I thought, well I guess it probably isn't like this anymore, but you could get money from ads just because they are being viewed. I thought this is what I used to do when I ran my hotline server. I know some are only click, and most are you have to sign up for stuff though.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

My user.action and default.action are available. Drop these into your /Library/Privoxy/ folder

Hi "1337_5L4Xx0R",

Thanks for the clear & surefire instruction and the introduction to Privoxy. I googled and read up about it. It sounds effective and minimalist.

The .action files don't exist anymore on your site. Do you mind share them again? There are probably others like me who'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

1. Get and install Privoxy for OS X

Cheers. Got it.

But how do I install Linux software under OSX(.5.8)?

Quote:

You've seen the before; here's the after (46KB screenshot)

'Page not found'...