Gotta say...I'm not too impressed.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I ordered my airport extreme card for my 12" PowerBook the other day, and installed it after it arrived this morning. After getting home I thought i'd try it out on my network. Configuration was easy as it can get, but I gotta say...when it comes to the connection itself, i'm a little dissappointed. I have always heard about how Apple laptops have the best reception, but to be honest with you, my PC laptop gets around MUCH better. Is there something that i'm missing? If so, please tell me. I'm not looking to take it back or anything, i've tried one the alternatives. I'm just looking to get close to the range that i'm getting outta my other laptop. I'm not even getting a full signal when sitting less than 2 feet from the AP. Any ideas are invited. Thanks in advance.

12" PB 1Ghz w/airport extreme

Linksys 2.4ghz Wireless router - Model BEFW11S4

Edit - For being an idiot

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you sure the antenna is in all the way? my roommate gets a great signal even in our heavily interfered with dorm room...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The apple internal antennas are not as good as almost any external antenna. I had a Ti 500 and the reception was about half the distance of my 17 or my wife's 12. I have the same Linksys unit and I have to go up one floor and over to the side before the signal drops one bar. Your antenna plug might not be all the way in.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    I can't thank you enough for restoring my faith back into airport. That DID IT! I can't believe my antenna was loose. Thanks a million.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    This is interesting to me because my 15" AlBook wouldn't start up when i installed my AE card and the antenna was loose.

Maybe i didn't have the card in all the way and pushing the antenna connector in also made the card sit more correctly.

Also, where can i get a 2Ghz 12" PB for myself?