Purchase Advice: Home Video Editing Rig

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is my first post. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am planning to put together a system to edit home video (first baby is on the way and I want to make sure the kid is well-documented).

I do not have any experience with current Apple hardware/software, though I did have an LCIII (ca. 1993). A friend who owns an ad agency and has a number of G5s has recommended that I look at Apple, though he wasn't able to recommend a specific configuration because he has no experience in editing video.

Based on preliminary research, I will plan to edit my MiniDV video using iMovie if I can get acceptable results. I will then use the SuperDrive to burn DVDs for distribution to family and friends. I figure that as I build a large library of raw and edited footage, I can add either internal or external storage.

I need to get the machine no later than early this summer (May/June) so I can set it up/learn how to use it in time to be ready for the baby. Based on this background information, here are my specific questions:

a) Can I get away with a iMac, or should I look at the G5?

b) If the G5, single or dual processor?

c) Can I create a reasonably professional-looking movie with iMovie, or will I need to upgrade to (and learn) a more sophisticated package?

d) When should I buy?

NOTE: I'm willing to make a reasonable investment in the equipment to ensure good performance. I am NOT interested in buying the most powerful machine available if it's not going to provide a commensurate increase in performance. Basically, I'm looking for value; the best combination of power and price for this specific application.

Thank you for any comments.

Shiznik

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shiznik

c) Can I create a reasonably professional-looking movie with iMovie, or will I need to upgrade to (and learn) a more sophisticated package?

d) When should I buy?

Shiznik

iMac ( Superdrive)+ iMovie works for me. First of all, the iMovie learning curve isn't a steep one whereas I found getting used to FC Express a bit more difficult. If you spend a bit of time learning iMovie the results can be rather good. Digital video eats up hard disc space, however, so you may want to beef up the storage. Plenty of commercial plugins available for extra transitions/ effects etc. if you want to create something whiztastic but in my book less is usually more where editing is concerned.

Good luck and welcome to the Mac world.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    I agree with the poster above Shiznik.

The next iMac might just be the trick. Especially if there is a G5 model. iLife 4 will provide everything you need to "document" your pride and joy. And futhermore you have everything on minidv tape so if you outgrow iMovie/iDVD you can always move up to an intermediate package like Final Cut Express and DVD Studio Pro.

You should be able to produce very nice "productions" with just the base iLife. Garageband will let you create music, iPhoto will document the pictures and iMovie will assemble the mix of pieces together and iDVD will give them physical form to share.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I would like to say that a G5 allows for more internal harddrive space. If you're going to be doing a lot of video, that's a big bonus. I always run out of drive space.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    you can always dump finished video back onto clean MiniDV tape for storage and keep your drive for ongoing edits and the project files themselves.

otherwise an external FW drive will work perfectly fine if you discover your drive fills too quickly.

Quote:

d) When should I buy?

a) yes, you can get away with an iMac

the 17 or 20" iMac (maxed with RAM) and iLife4 are probably the best bang for the buck today.

if, on the other hand, you already own a nice big widescreen monitor, maybe a G5 deserves a look.

b) dual

if you splurge for a G5, the dual is far more future proof than a single, with 8 RAM slots, better bus speeds, etc

but for the kind of uses you're talking about and an expressed wish not to overbuy, it's overkill

you don't need a V12 to drive to the corner store, and most 4cyl are fine on the highway

c) iMovie should get you up to the 'quasi-professional level', where it might not be Broadcast quality

(the higher end tools like FC offer scopes for superblack calibration, more tracks, finer controls, etc)

but for almost anybody outside of the industry, it will appear professional,

and certainly kick the pants off anything out of Premiere, or cheaper apps.

d) when do you need it?

You can shoot video and begin to compile a library of footage without the Mac,

and if that means you could delay a hardware purchase until latest May/June

(WWDC promised 3GHz G5s by July, ergo new models should be announced soon),

you may have new options outside of the current matrix (ie: maybe iMac single G5)

many people have been anticipating new product announcements and speed bumps,

and we're "due" based on previous update cycles and IBM announcements,

so there will always be something better around the corner that tempts waiting for.

I'd say wait as long as possible, then check back to see if other options exist,

but if the matrix is the same as now, just a bit faster, then max out a WideScreen iMac.

multiple monitor support matters for the higher end tools, iMovie doesn't need it,

but it's certainly a consideration as you move up the editing food chain

and the pennies go plink plink
  • Reply 5 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    IMO iMac is the worst machine in terms of performance and value

If you can't afford the G5 go for the G4 tower + a 19" CRT Monitor instead of iMac

iMac is a "dead end" machine. You can't upgrade anything but the RAM. Not to mention there's no way to expand.

WIth the tower, you can add up to 4 IDE drives for cheap (no need to pay extra for the external case). In the case of iMac you are going to pay a lot more on storage device.

G4 tower can hold up to 2GB RAM instead of 1GB.

iMac is slower than the G4 tower (even eMac, I don't know why but it really is true) running at the same clock speed.

If you really are tight on budget I would rather see you getting an eMac than an iMac

Ideally, Get a G5 and don't look back Support IBM!

As for software, I strongly suggest you go use Final Cut Express than iMovie. RealTime preview in FCE really saves you tons of times.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    imho - you should get plenty of drive space in a new unit, byt remember, you can get an external 300(ish) gig for <500$ and dump video to it with one button (a few mac compatible modles have 1-touch file copy)

and hell i have even seen a terabyte model from LaCie
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

I am planning to put together a system to edit home video (first baby is on the way and I want to make sure the kid is well-documented).

d) When should I buy?

Start saving for the pampers, and the formula. I speak from experience...

Congratulation on the big step of Parenthood, before you know it's going yo be soccer and baseball ect...

There are a lot of ways to look at this... You know, any of the Apple products will keep you happy for a long time a coming. The combined packaged software within OSX, and perhaps iLife, Make the Mac a great choice. The Dual G4 1,25GHz for the time being is not bad. The G5 is very sweet, although I would stay away from the single processor model. Its not a macho statement or anything, its a parts and pieces issue. To save some money you may want to go with a conventional monitor, or splurge on a flat screen LCD. And the iMac, has benefits as well, it is a G4 processor, and for general stuff it works well.

The Dual processor set ups do have benefits when it comes to Video editing and or Photoshop, but either way you still get the work done.

How about the video camera, do you have that yet? if not try to find one that has either Firewire or USB2 connectivity (USB is much slower connection than the other two) As far as the software, Keep it simple, You will have many hours to learn and perfect those DVD as your child grows. Although sometimes there are some great third party packages you can purchase from apple when you make a new purchase...

The main thing is to enjoy, there's a new life coming into you life...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Thanks for the replies. Seems like it will behoove me to wait as long as I can to take advantage of either advancing technology or dropping prices (or both).

It also appears from these replies and some other research that although the G5 is a 64-bit machine, there are few 64 bit applications (including the OS). Any idea when OSX/iLife will be rewritten in 64 bit? Is any third party video editing package written in 64 bit, or scheduled soon?

Until 64 bit apps are widely available, seems like a G5 is overkill?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well, the "only" big advantage on 64bit aware OS and apps to general consumer and a few pros is the ability to use more than 2GB of RAM on each application.

At the current state each app can use no more than 2GB due to the limitation on 32bit memory addressing.

In Final Cut Pro there's no need to go higher than 2GB RAM anyway
  • Reply 10 of 16
    if youre just doing home movies, then youre fine with an imac. (you can always get an external hard drive to back stuff up). iMovie will be just fine for you--its easy to learn and version 4.0 is nice.

i've edited a 2.5 hour video on an 800MHz emac with 512MB and had virtually no problems. enough said.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Until 64 bit apps are widely available, seems like a G5 is overkill? [/B]

Yes and No,

The 64 bit question.. for the moment yes, next Winter... that will be anyones guess...

Processor speed (GHz) and future software is always going to be an issue... as far as the foreseeable equipment, both will work in the 32 bit environment, whereas the G5 will work in both...

This may seem like a silly thought, But first visualize where you will put the thing, perhaps the iMac is the perfect fit, sitting up on the desk, or a G5 will sit snuggle under the desk...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Thanks for the replies. Seems like it will behoove me to wait as long as I can to take advantage of either advancing technology or dropping prices (or both).

Until 64 bit apps are widely available, seems like a G5 is overkill? [/B]

I think so - tending to agree with the majority here. The 20" iMac screen space will maximize your iLife productivity over a G5 with a smaller screen and definitely provide more bang for your buck (unless you have a killer flatscreen monitor sitting around, as already mentioned).

iMac -> iMovie + iDVD

PM G5 -> Final Cut + DVD Studio Pro

Order an iMac with the upgraded 160 GB internal drive and max the RAM as soon as you can. Then you can get an external FireWire drive when you run out of internal space and still have plenty of bucks4baby left over vs. the G5 route.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Order an iMac with the upgraded 160 GB internal drive and max the RAM as soon as you can. Then you can get an external FireWire drive when you run out of internal space and still have plenty of bucks4baby left over vs. the G5 route.

exactly. upgrade as you need to (with ram, etc..)
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Apple Stores and the online store still have G4 Powermacs if you want a tower instead of the iMac. G4 Powermacs are still very nice, powerful and now relatively inexpensive.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    resres Posts: 711member
    Unless they come out with a new iMac with a much better price/performance ratio than the current one, I'd avoid it (if they come out with a fast G5 version, then it would be something to think about).

I've been editing video with on my 800MHz powerbook, using iMovie and a 160MB firewire drive. It gets the job done, but I find it frustratingly slow at times. I'm really looking forward to moving up to a dual G5 (and Final Cut Express).

If you can afford it I'd suggest you go with a dual G5, it really is much faster then the G4 systems and worth the price.

If you need to go cheaper, either the single G5 or Dual G4 tower would be my next suggestion.

No matter which Mac you go with, wait until after the next upgrades come along (which should happen by your june deadline).
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I am getting antsy to buy, plus my [Windoze] laptop I was using at home just died.

I've been watching macrumors and this board, and it looks like new product announcements *might* be just around the corner.

Is Apple expected to do anything with the G5 line aside from bump the processor(s) speed? If not, I might just bite the bullet and buy a dual 2.0 which according to the rumor mill will wind up being the low speed configuration (with 2.4 the top end).

?????