Who or what punctured my battery?

anranr
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi',

This is how one of my batteries for my TiBook looks:

This is obviously strange - since when i took it out, the inside of the pb looked fine...

high res image

What caused this? And can i still use the battery? It was working fine when i noticed it would'nt come out without the use of violence.

???

anr

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by anr

Hi',

This is how one of my batteries for my TiBook looks in the corner:

This is obviously strange - since when i took it out, the inside of the pb looked fine...

high res image

What caused this? And can i still use the battery? It was working fine when i noticed it would'nt come out without the use of violence.

???

anr

are you certain the "use of violence to get it out" didn't cause the damage?

I wouldn't put that back into a laptop until I knew it was still sealed and viable.

Not worth the risk if it leaked and borked your TiBook.

Sounds like you have an alternate battery, so stick with that until you can diagnose the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would send that to a apple store and try to get a replacement. If that is battery acid, get it off your laptop right away. Mix some baking soda and a little water and spritz it on the battery. If it bubbles, you got yourself some acid and rub the baking soda on your laptop to neutralize the acid.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    anranr Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

are you certain the "use of violence to get it out" didn't cause the damage?

I wouldn't put that back into a laptop until I knew it was still sealed and viable.

Not worth the risk if it leaked and borked your TiBook.

I'm quite certain that the use of violence created the damage, but the strange thing is, that on the surface of the pb - where the damaged point would sit - was perfectly clean...

The trouble with applecare is that the specific battery is one that i got from a friend, and he is not too keen to have to contact apple... recommended that I just put it in the pb again after i'd wiped it clean.

It would be too risky to just put it in again, right?

anr
  • Reply 4 of 4
    do not put it back into your laptop. do not use the battery. you will most likely start a fire.

the blackened metal is due to acid, backing soda can be used to confirm, but I really wouldnt rub it on my computer.

the battery is dead.