Connecting a PB to an eMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am thinking of buying an eMac for my desktop. My question is if i connect my 12" Powerbook to the eMac via firewire, will either computers HD show up on either monitor like an external hardrive does? Thanks, in advance.

PS. Please be kind, i am a newbie on this forum, and yes i did a search and couldnt find my answer. Thanks again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    In FireWire Target Disk mode, the PowerBook's HD will appear on the eMac's desktop just like any other FW drive. (The eMac's will not appear in the PBook--since it's in TDM (Target Disk Mode).

To do this, press the "T" key on the PBook on start-up until the FireWire symbol appears on screen, and you're good-to-go.

To disconnect, unmount the PBook'd drive by dragging it to the trash (or ejecting it), and pressing the PBook's power button.

You could use a ethernet cable, as well, and Rendevous would detect each of the Macs.

• Reply 2 of 5
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Just so you know, when you're in Target Disk Mode the computer that boots into this mode can't be used. It's simply an external drive to the other machine.

So if you plug the two together and turn on your eMac. Then hold down T when you boot your PowerBook. With this setup, the eMac will be a normal computer but your PowerBook will show up on the desktop of the eMac. The screen of the PowerBook will be a FireWire symbol, not the Mac OS, and the keyboard won't work ect.

You can't have both machines running as computers when you do this, but it's an incredibly fast method of networking.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    If you have two machines with firewire Extreme you will be well impressed with the transfer rate as it is simply awesome. Not having to take out the drive is fab.

Not exactly networking tho as you don't have any network protocols and you can't use both machines simultaneously.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    It really depends what your networking needs are. For quick data transfer or drive mirroring then Target Disk Mode is great. But for everyday networking you could just connect the two via ethernet or airport.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    thanks for all the help