iBook extended desktop hack (just checking)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have the 12" iBook G4, and a 21" monitor that I would like to use with it. I have looked at the iBook Extended Desktop Hack in detail, but before I try anything I'd just like to know for sure - If I do the temporary version of this hack, is there any chance of causing permanent damage to my iBook? Also will it void the guarantee ? Has anyone had any paricularly good or bad experiences with this?

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, I did the hack with my iBook G3 about a year ago, and it worked fine. I didn't do the temporary one either - if it's going to get messed up by the hack, doing the temporary one won't help anyway. Also, I had a problem with the Combo drive a few months after I did the hack. I sent it into Apple and they fixed it and returned it fairly quickly. So, as far as I know, it will work fine and you won't have to worry about Apple not honoring your warranty.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Thank you, this is looking positive. Can anyone else give feedback from this? I'm sure it will be fine, I just don't want to do anything that could be risky without a lot of advice.

Andrew
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Isn't there a way to reset your firmware?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

Thank you, this is looking positive. Can anyone else give feedback from this? I'm sure it will be fine, I just don't want to do anything that could be risky without a lot of advice.

Andrew

i've done this to two ibooks. if you follow the instructions, there is no risk of damage. you'll be fine.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Just make sure you have a Radeon video iBook and not a Rage-based one.

EDIT: Oups... you said iBook G4....
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Many thanks for your advice everyone, I've downloaded and run the patch and extended desktop is working fine.

I wonder why Apple bother to disable this feature if they're going to make the software open source and pretty much encourage us to hack our machines?

Andrew
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I did this to my iBook G4

Works wonderfully

go ahead and do it, there's nothing that could go wrong
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

go ahead and do it, there's nothing that could go wrong

Famous last words.

Not saying you are wrong about the hack, but there is ALWAYS something that could go wrong.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Computer crashes while updating firmware. Firmware is corrupted. Video doesn't display.

= A Very Bad Thing?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

if they're going to make the software open source and pretty much encourage us to hack our machines?

only certain parts are (darwin) is and I don't see how they encourage it...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    AFAIK I don't think you are actually modifying the actual firmware at all, just some settings.