another heathen converted

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So my wife did a very good thing last month and bought me an iPod. It was an early birthday present (my birthday is in March), but she had some money to burn and knew I wanted one badly. So for the past month, she has been saying things like "nope. Just don't get it." "yawn." "am I an iPod widow?" And on and on. Oh, and yesterday, I noticed her woman's magazine had these cool little iPod mini mockups --- like those annoying cards that keep falling out of magazines? Anyway, my kids loved them. She, however, was unimpressed, still.

Today, I let her use my iPod at the Gym. Well, I was going to use it, but she was kinda irked that I would be cut off from normal conversation, so I dug up my rattail splitter and we listened together for a while. That turned out to be a royal pain in the ass (we had to shove the treadmills together, for example), so I just let her use it.

Five minutes later she was demanding an iTrip and a simple armband FM radio. One half-hour later she's saying. "This is pretty cool." "How much are iPod minis again?" "Can you help me get music on it?" "Can I use it with speakers at my office." "We can download music from iTunes automatically with our credit card, right?"

First the TiVo, now iPods. She had better watch out, or her status as an anti-geek newtech-nophobe will be in danger.

The only thing I love more than spending $$ on myself is spending geek money on her, because, well, I like to get her things, and it's an implicit I told you so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Well done Machem. Women are geekier than they want us to know but they cannot hide the truth
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My mom certainly loves gadgets. She's always seeing some new device and saying, "Oooh, it'd be neat to have one of those!" The problem is that by the time she gets said gadget, she usually never actually uses it. It's just the status of having one that she wants.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Well, she's not getting a mini. I went to Target, because I heard that they had 3G, 10Gig iPods for $199. Sure enough, they had one, but it was not $199.

It was $150!. I snatched that sucker up. If she gets hooked on the iPod thing, and decides a mini is better, then I'll get her one this summer. I just couldn't pass up $150 for an iPod. Sure, it will waste a lot of space (there is no way she will put 10G of music on it, much less listen to that much), but it is a perfect "testbed" for her, if nothing else.

She just paid $285 for my 15G, 3G iPod last month.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Glad to hear it. Plus your wife will log more time on the stairmaster.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    $150? That's £80 for those of us watching in pounds Sterling, or about the cost of a (cheap) 256MB flash player.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    The $75 price difference put the nail in the coffin of a mini (did that make sense)? Plus, now I can get an iTrip (or two?) and some ear-hook phones (what she prefers), and maybe some in-ear phone plugs without too much squawking.

I'm going to try and get home and set things up for her (iTunes and all that) before she gets home.