iBook or PowerBook for Son.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My son is 11 and needs a Lap top for school. I can buy a bottom of the range iBook in the knowledge that at some point he is going to want something better. Or I can buy a 12" PB with superdrive and it should be capable of taking him right through University.

Is it realistic to think that the PB will survive that long or should I go with the cheaper option?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Wait for the Powerbook G5s. Not that he needs one, but anything out now should drop in value like a rock. =) Then you can buy him a 15" with the knowledge that you can buy him another one down the line for University. ^^

(I doubt any laptop could make it longer than 1.5 years. (2 at most) -_O)

- Xidius
  • Reply 2 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I always say that you should buy the best that you can reasonable afford.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    An 11 year old needs a laptop for school??

Wow, times really are changing.

Anyhow, I think you should go for an iBook. I honestly cannot imagine a kid that age actually needing the extra power of a PowerBook. What exactly is he going to be using it for? Unless you just have money waiting to burn, the PowerBook would be overkill. Microsoft Office and a handful of games shouldn't warrant you nearly doubling the price.

Planning on him using it all the way through university is a huge mistake. That's seven years away! Most people here would probably consider the maximum life span of computers to be at about three or four years if they want to keep the latest software running on them. Notebook computers physically have a very much shorter life span due to their fragility, tight integration of components, and susceptibility to battery and screen failure. If one thing fails, usually, it's a goner if you don't still have a warranty. Unless your kid is a rare exception to the rule, there's not a chance that a notebook computer will last him that long.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    I would max out the 1GHz ibook with ram and an airport extreme card. It's just as good as the current 12" pb(except ram and looks).But if you can afford a good pb, wait for the updates.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

My son is 11 and needs a Lap top for school. I can buy a bottom of the range iBook in the knowledge that at some point he is going to want something better. Or I can buy a 12" PB with superdrive and it should be capable of taking him right through University.

Is it realistic to think that the PB will survive that long or should I go with the cheaper option?

just go with an iBook if you have to, but dont expect anything to last him through college. you have like 7 years before he even enters college. think about it.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    What exactly does an 11 year old need to do at school that requires a laptop?

(just a question, not meant to be an attack)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

What exactly does an 11 year old need to do at school that requires a laptop?

(just a question, not meant to be an attack)

i'm sure it varies from school to school, but my 8 year old cousin goes to a magnet school that incorporates tech into the classroom, and she uses both mac's and pc's on a regular basis. (i'm so jealous )
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Get a used G3 iBook, 700-900 MHz. He doesn't need anything more powerful than that. Once he's old enough to want/need more power, he should be able to hold a job long enough to buy a new computer. He definitely doesn't need a PowerBook, and if you got him one, he'd just use it for games.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

...my 8 year old cousin goes to a magnet school...

Oh, a magnet school. I thought you meant a magnet school. I wonder if we have them in England...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    iBook.

The plastic will handle scratches and scuffing a lot better than the aluminum of the Powerbooks, and has less "flex" when squeezed. It just feels more likely to survive a backpack day-in and day-out.

Also, he likely doesn't need the Superdrive just yet. If the school has a projector system, he can just hook right into that for presentations, which will be more visible than a TV and more interactive.

And honestly, you're fooling yourself if you think an 11-year old will be able to buy the current top-of-the-line laptop now, and still be using it in college. Three, four years and that machine will start to feel 'slow' for him as the operating systems (and games), workplace software (and games), and Internet software (and games) grow more complex.

Get him the iBook now, and be ready to buy a new laptop when he graduates HS, to take to college. At that point, a good Powerbook would make sense, as he'll need the extra features/speed, depending on his chosen major.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Oh, a magnet school. I thought you meant a magnet school. I wonder if we have them in England...

ya basically its an accelerated school that pulls in kids from all around the city, and the teachers are actually creative and use technology
  • Reply 12 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Addison: You answered your own question. It is completely unrealistic to think that the PowerBook will last your son seven more years until university. It will last 4-5 years at best. To clarify, both PB and iBook will last longer physically. But they will be outdated technologically within a few short years.

Therefore, go with the cheaper iBook, which on top of its price advantage is physically stronger than the PowerBook (good for a child).

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    ibook has a better battery life, and is more resistant.

for a 11 years old, you dont even need the newest ibook. a 500 or 600 mhz ones should do just fine. powerbook is too much, id be worried to let him or her carry one around. the less worries the better. id say definifelly ibook. and not necessarily the newest model either.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Follow up. I bought a 800mhz iBook with airport and an HP 5850 wireless printer, however I have a problem.

I have set up the printer to work on Peer to peer wireless and it has an ip range 169.xxx etc and I can print to it but the range does seem quite short about 20 feet in my house (Is that normal?). When i plug in our network cable for internet access (DHCP adsl router attached, range 192.168.xxx) I can access the internet and other machines on the network but not the 5850. I assume this is because they are on different subnets. Obviously there are effectivly two different network cards in this iBook, and I assume that traffic intended for the HP is being routed via the network cable. I can't ask my son to add a route each time he restarts the iBook to overcome this problem. What is the soloution to this, I can't work out the logic.