Napster 2.0 sells 5 mio songs online

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
in the first three month. They just published a press release.

Apple sold 10 mio in the first four month .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Well both of them are going to have to compete with Wal-Mart's online music service which is now the cheapest on the web. The only "Plus" to other services compared to Wal-Mart's is the fact that they have no explicit content, explicit songs are edited "radio friendly" versions.

I'm not saying I like the Wal-Mart service, but if consumers can save over 10% a song I'm sure they will eventually once word gets out. Sooner or later this giant is going to have a monopoly on every market... and people think Microsoft is the "Evil Empire." LOL!.

http://musicdownloads.walmart.com
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Studio896

Well both of them are going to have to compete with Wal-Mart's online music service which is now the cheapest on the web. The only "Plus" to other services compared to Wal-Mart's is the fact that they have no explicit content, explicit songs are edited "radio friendly" versions.

I'm not saying I like the Wal-Mart service, but if consumers can save over 10% a song I'm sure they will eventually once word gets out. Sooner or later this giant is going to have a monopoly on every market... and people think Microsoft is the "Evil Empire." LOL!.

http://musicdownloads.walmart.com

ok honestly, everyone already knows about iTMS, and people eager to adopt legal downloading have already done so. dont forget the whole format issue. i dunno where i'm going with this exactly, but my point is that a walmart music store is going to be a flop. they have no ipod, they'll be making even less than Apple on their music, and no one that owns an ipod will be able to use it.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,255member
    Quote:

Some people feel that the easy syncing of music from iTMS to iPod is a Plus feature. I'm not to sure $.88 songs are going to be that much of an enticement. After all ....how many of us actually buy are computer gear at Walmart? If that sounds snobby that's exactly my intention
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Some people feel that the easy syncing of music from iTMS to iPod is a Plus feature. I'm not to sure $.88 songs are going to be that much of an enticement. After all ....how many of us actually buy are computer gear at Walmart? If that sounds snobby that's exactly my intention

I'm on the outside looking in as a PC lover who also owns Apple products... as is 90%+ of the computer market.

You have to remember though, as portable MP3 players catch on (iPod is far from the only "good" one now), that PC users are going to expand. Apple's market share is very small, so the average Joe who just bought a PC iPod from a chain store isn't worried about "carrying the Apple torch" like most avid Apple owners are.

11 cents a song isn't a big deal if you buy one song, but when you have people that buy 20+ songs at a time it does add up... it's like getting a free song every 9 you buy. 10% is a big difference in pricing in ANY market. Avid Apple fans need to realize that the digital markets (computers, dvds, cds, etc) are driven by lowest prices and that is why sites like pricewatch.com are so popular... and that is the exact reason Apple doesn't sell as many computers, because they can't get you a full-fledged computer for 400 bucks shipped like Dell can.

Give Wal-Mart a couple of months to release one of their huge marketing campaigns and Napster and Apple with both need to rethink their stance on pricing. Wal-Mart is the FORTUNE 1 company and a force to be reconned with... just ask K-Mart & Target. It should also be noted that Wal-Mart sells more music CDs and DVDs then any other chain in the world, so I think they know what they're doing.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i dunno where i'm going with this exactly, but my point is that a walmart music store is going to be a flop. they have no ipod, they'll be making even less than Apple on their music, and no one that owns an ipod will be able to use it.

LOL! Do you honestly think the largest retail giant in the world who sells more music then anyone else in the world will be a flop? The majority of the people who buy music don't have MP3 players like iPods, less the 1% of avid music listeners have "luxury audio items" like XMradio and iPods... so most people who are buying MP3s online are NOT doing it for MP3 players but more for computer use and mixed cds.

Like it or not Apple has less then 5% of the US computer market share, so the fact that iTunes integrates so well with OSX or any other thing with Apple's name on it is far from a great selling point for the US market. The world does not revolve Apple and their sales show it... iPod and iTunes have been great successes for Apple and have actually helped it with an upward swing in the company, but they still have their work cut out for them.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

LOL! Do you honestly think the largest retail giant in the world who sells more music then anyone else in the world will be a flop? The majority of the people who buy music don't have MP3 players like iPods, less the 1% of avid music listeners have "luxury audio items" like XMradio and iPods... so most people who are buying MP3s online are NOT doing it for MP3 players but more for computer use and mixed cds.

Like it or not Apple has less then 5% of the US computer market share, so the fact that iTunes integrates so well with OSX or any other thing with Apple's name on it is far from a great selling point for the US market. The world does not revolve Apple and their sales show it... iPod and iTunes have been great successes for Apple and have actually helped it with an upward swing in the company, but they still have their work cut out for them.

Apple doesn't *want* the people who don't own portable audio players. The money for Apple is in the iPod sales. If someone doesn't own an iPod or has no intention of getting one, it's all a wash for Apple anyway...

And the marketshare Apple has in the personal computer arena is irrelevant to the discussion of downloading music. Apple OWNS the market in portable audio. That's the only stat that counts.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Like it or not Apple has less then 5% of the US computer market share,

but they have a 70% legal downloading market share
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Apple doesn't *want* the people who don't own portable audio players.

You can't possibly think that Apple only wants people to use iTunes if they have an iPod. I know of 15-20 people that use iTunes on a regular basis that don't own iPods and I imagine the majority of their customers don't own iPods considering less then 1% of the market has a portable audio device of any kind... not to mention that over 1 million copies of iTunes Windows version has been downloaded. To market for only iPod users is not only stupid, its untrue.

Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

And the marketshare Apple has in the personal computer arena is irrelevant to the discussion of downloading music. Apple OWNS the market in portable audio. That's the only stat that counts.

Apple marketshare is irrelevant? Simple economics tells us that product name and recognition plays a huge roll in marketability of a product. Once again, Apple can and does own the portable audio market but less then 1% of music downloaders have portable audio devices... 99% of music downloaders still do it for personal at home use, and for CDs so to ignore 99% of the market like you've said makes no sense what-so-ever.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

but they have a 70% legal downloading market share

True, but 70% of a total of about 60 million "legal" songs downloaded to date for ALL online services is nothing... considering that billions of songs are downloaded a week illegally. As more legal avenues popup for users (napster 2, wal-mart) their market share isn't going to go up, it will go down... the market will level off.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

You can't possibly think that Apple only wants people to use iTunes if they have an iPod. I know of 15-20 people that use iTunes on a regular basis that don't own iPods and I imagine the majority of their customers don't own iPods considering less then 1% of the market has a portable audio device of any kind... not to mention that over 1 million copies of iTunes Windows version has been downloaded. To market for only iPod users is not only stupid, its untrue..

Yes, that is a correct, but the point that was being made was that, in the digital music business, apple makes it's money off the iPod. not the iTMS, so - companies that aren't selling a piece of hardware that is married to their music service, aren't going to make nearly as much profit as apple can.

Granted, a lot of people don't have iPods and still use the music store, apple uses the music store to sell iPods regardless. Wal-mart, although they are huge, will enter the market(like everyone else) selling at a heinous loss, and the lack of an extra $$ device to buy to get the 'optimum wal-mart music store experience' just means that they will have a much harder time recouping expenses and then garnering a profit.

that aside, isn't the wal-mart store going to feature a lot less new releases and pop music? I think I read somewhere that it's focus is not going to be to take out the iTMS, but rather to specialize in genres that iTMS doesn't have. \ But I could be totally off base, I can't really remember where I read that.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

You can't possibly think that Apple only wants people to use iTunes if they have an iPod. I know of 15-20 people that use iTunes on a regular basis that don't own iPods and I imagine the majority of their customers don't own iPods considering less then 1% of the market has a portable audio device of any kind... not to mention that over 1 million copies of iTunes Windows version has been downloaded. To market for only iPod users is not only stupid, its untrue.

Tell me, Mr. Genius, what is the purpose of iTunes if not to pimp the iPod? How much does Apple make on people using iTunes if they don't buy songs or have iPods? About $.00 and negative if you count the cost of the download to Apple.

Quote:

Apple marketshare is irrelevant?

You need a reading lesson. I said Apple's share of the personal computer market is irrelevant. You don't need an Apple computer to use an iPod or iTunes. If you really want to bring marketshare into this discussion, bring the relevant marketshare number: 31% as of December (probably more now, but we'll know for sure when they announce the numbers in April). That's the key number you need to think about, not the 5% PC marketshare number.

Quote:

Simple economics tells us that product name and recognition plays a huge roll in marketability of a product.

And simple reading of the press and gauging public perception tells us that Apple's HUGE mindshare belies relying on marketshare numbers as a measure of name recognition or marketability.

Quote:

Once again, Apple can and does own the portable audio market but less then 1% of music downloaders have portable audio devices... 99% of music downloaders still do it for personal at home use, and for CDs so to ignore 99% of the market like you've said makes no sense what-so-ever.

If you had a single clue what you're talking about or the economics of the music downloading business you'd know that you're completely full of shit and way off base. Apple has said, repeatedly, that the money for them is NOT in the downloads but in the portable products they're selling. It makes no sense what-so-ever to cater to people who aren't going to spend money.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I think it is funny that WalMart is going to be mentioned in the same breath as Apple and Napster (Napster wont be mentioned at all soon). It is funny because to me, WalMart entering this market would be like Microsoft entering the mini mart market.

Does Microsoft really want to compete with the big ugly?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

...walmart music store... no one that owns an ipod will be able to use it.

Can you d/l from the Walmart Music Store onto a Mac? I just looked at the system requirements and there was no mention of Macs or OSX that I could see. But surely the music is just formatted into mp3 files. How is that incompatible? Or do the files have special Microsoft DRM?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Your arguement gets cloudy once you try to bring in marketshare.

iTunes and iPods are available for both Mac and PC so marketshare percentages are useless.

Currently right now there is no profit to be made from downloads only because critical mass has not been reached.

Walmart has size and influence people lacking $$$ but to say they hold sway with the technical is foolish supposition. Computers are not everyday household items and Walmart is beyond it core competency when it comes to savvy customers. .88 downloads will do nothing but attract the typical walmart customer and without another source of revenue I doubt they will be players at all. .02
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I think Walmart entering this game is similar to MS entering the console market, iTMS will still be king(PS2) but After some mucking around, Napster(GC) will start to dwindle, and wal mart(xbox) will gain some foothold, but they both combined won't come close to iTMS
  • Reply 16 of 20
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Can you d/l from the Walmart Music Store onto a Mac? I just looked at the system requirements and there was no mention of Macs or OSX that I could see. But surely the music is just formatted into mp3 files. How is that incompatible? Or do the files have special Microsoft DRM?

Wal-Mart like all the other download companies offer their tunes in a heavily DRMeded Windows Media Format. So far the MBU over at MS has seen no need in porting over the software to enable Macs to playback the songs.

Napster sold 5 million songs? HAHAHAHAH! Who cares? Really, Napster has been a flop. Not nearly as big a flop as buymusic, but a flop none the less. Steve said that iTunes had a 70% share of legal downloads as of Jan 2004. With the success of the iPod mini and the soon to be shipping HPod by Jan 2005 Apple will have 85% of the legal download market.

If I were the record companies I would be trying my damnedest to undercut Apple. The last thing they want is for the retail market die and only have one serious provider of legal downloads.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Do you read what you are typing? You actually believe people, after using the iTunes Music Store, are going to point their browsers to walmart.com to save money? Thats just nuts, Apple doesn't want to attract the kind of user enticed by eleven cents because then that cheap bastard will never get an iPod anyways. Walmart nor any other music download site will not be a threat unless it gets Microsoft's support. Walmart is tacky and Apple is pretty thats what will win them digital music.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    the reason i said it was gonn abe a flop earlier is that i dont see how walmart can make ANY money off this. its not like the record companies are gonna say, 'hey walmart, we'll cut a deal for you since youre wal mart.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    foadfoad Posts: 697member
    Studio896...you need to get your head out of the gutter man. You make absolutely no sense.

On a completely off-topic note...how often do you steal the looks of sites designed the guys at 2Advanced? I was just curious.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    This is nothing new.. but Wal-Mart keeps it's costs so low by strong arming suppliers and doing everything possible to screw over their employees. I've made it a point to not get anything from them for a number of years now... since this was all aired out. Here's an interesting read...

http://edworkforce.house.gov/democra.../rel21604.html

It's a shame really... people don't really care how they get cheap prices. If they can get their Hanes briefs for 30 cents cheaper, that's what they'll do.. regardless of all the factors behind it.

Pick any of the download services you want... but try to resist saving a few cents by using Wal-Marts service.