iMac G4 Modem Issue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

Using my iMac, I lose my dial-up connection just about every session in both OS X & 9.2. I have plugged the machine into all my phone jacks in the house. I thought it could be my ISP but, I am not experiencing the problem on my old Performa.

I could be on-line for a few minutes to 45 min and it will occur. In 9.2, I have Apple Remote Access set to 30 min of inactive use but that always seems to die on me whether I am using IE, Netscape, Eudora, doing a sw download from Norton's or Apple, etc....

I have been to the Apple Store and have talked to a a technician at the Genius Bar. He suggested that I zap my PRAM. Problem still persists.

Could I have a bad modem?

Nick :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mean Machine:

<strong>Hi all,

Using my iMac, I lose my dial-up connection just about every session in both OS X & 9.2. I have plugged the machine into all my phone jacks in the house. I thought it could be my ISP but, I am not experiencing the problem on my old Performa.

I could be on-line for a few minutes to 45 min and it will occur. In 9.2, I have Apple Remote Access set to 30 min of inactive use but that always seems to die on me whether I am using IE, Netscape, Eudora, doing a sw download from Norton's or Apple, etc....

I have been to the Apple Store and have talked to a a technician at the Genius Bar. He suggested that I zap my PRAM. Problem still persists.

Could I have a bad modem?

Nick :-)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure, but I thought I read something to that issue and how the newly 10.14 upgrade fixes this. Not 100% sure though.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tmatma Posts: 76member
    I'm not sure what the problem is exactly but I have a few suggestions.

When the first generation iMacs first came out many people suffered from poor connection speeds because the modem script supplied with the operating system (OS 8.6 at the time I think) wsn't that brilliant. So it could be Apple haven't made a decent script to go with the modem in the new iMacs. Keep checking for updates from Apple.

Also there are a number of other modem scripts around the web that will work (I don't use the default iMac Internal script) Mines from a collection called "Modem_Puppet_Show 3.0.sit" which I tried to track down but couldn't seem to locate. Try searching for iMac Modem Scripts in Google and see if that comes up with anything.

Just to eliminate it as cause try turning of the Disconnect when idle in Remote Access.

You could also try connecting with FreePPP instead of Apple Remote Access. It's an older program but it may still work ok. It used to be much more reliable for me on the Performa compared to RA but your milage may vary. The URL is <a href="http://www.rockstar.com/ppp.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.rockstar.com/ppp.shtml</a>;

The only other thing I can think of is that something is interfering with your modem cable or that the cable is weak/damaged somewhere along it. Try using the modem cable from your Performa (I use my old cable because the one that came with my iMac was too short)

I had alot of problems with dialup in OS X (I've just updated to 10.1.4 but haven't used it enough to tell weather it fixes the problems) but OS 9 has always worked perfectly for me.

Hopefully its not a hardware problem.

Good luck!