iPod/iTunes authorization issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I'm trying to set up my wife's iPod, and I have issues. Essentially, I'd like her to be able to play my (previously purchased) iTunes songs on her iPod. First off, I should be able to do this, right? As long as her computer is authorized? They play on her iTunes, but don't get transferred to her 'pod.

We initially set up iTunes with my account information, but then we noticed the purchased AACs weren't making it to her iPod. I thought first that I'd deauthorize her machine (from my iTunes account), but when I do that, iTunes tells me her 'book isn't authorized. However, it will play these purchased (by me) AAC files, which means it's authorized, right?

I know I can convert these AACs to mp3s and send them back to her, but I'd obviously like to avoid this. It seems to me that she should be able to play them (under the 3-cpu limit), but that doesn't prevent the iPod from getting them, or does it? Does the iPod count as a CPU in this definition?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have not purchased anything off ITMS yet, but I think you have a max of 5 computers and unlimited iPods. iPods are good for 1-way transfers. You will have to make sure her computer is authorized if she wants to play them from her drive, but that still should not prevent you from playing from her iPod. You may check the ipod settings to make sure your entire library is synced (if you have it set on manual). Uh, and if that doesn't work, you could try full manual control and see if that works.\
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Gee, everyone, thanks for all the help!

Anyway, got it worked out. Can't say that I really understand it though. I plugged her iPod into my machine, and tried to manually sync it. This had no effect --- after clicking "OK", the radio buttons would switch back to "automatic". So I plugged it back into her machine, thinking I'd have to set the manual sync on it (the home machine), and bingo, it sync'd the said purchased AACs to her iPod.

Anyway, all better now.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

Gee, everyone, thanks for all the help!

Anyway, got it worked out. Can't say that I really understand it though. I plugged her iPod into my machine, and tried to manually sync it. This had no effect --- after clicking "OK", the radio buttons would switch back to "automatic". So I plugged it back into her machine, thinking I'd have to set the manual sync on it (the home machine), and bingo, it sync'd the said purchased AACs to her iPod.

Anyway, all better now.

if i had had an answer, i would have posted. not too many people have been in your situation, so we didnt have answers. makes sense that auto-syncing fixed everything though--its really great.