HELP! Mail is totally unstable.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My mail has begun crashing about 20 times a day.

I just tried 3 times to get new mail and it crashed every time. Any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

My mail has begun crashing about 20 times a day.

I just tried 3 times to get new mail and it crashed every time. Any advice?

I was having a similar problem - Mail was crashing 3 or more times a day. Turns out it was the Junk Rules engine. I used the Preferences->JunkMail->Reset and the crashes stopped.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I am truly beginning to hate Mail. It has crashed five times in the last 45 minutes.

The worst part is that when I relaunch the app, it begins to index ALL of me messages. My CPU is pegged at 100% while this happens and I bet mail will crash before its done. This is totally frustrating!!!!!!

Apple has received many reports from me. This never happened before 10.3.2.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I've reset my junk filter with no results. Right now, I've taken the account offline, let the indexing complete, and waited and waited and waited for the app too rebuild the table of contents. It never gets past 75%...using all of my CPU during the process.

I am at work and this is hurting my productivity. I tried to quit mail 5 minutes ago and it is still not quitting...and my CPU is still pegged.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sounds like a corrupted message in there somewhere threw a monkey wrench in the works. not sure what the best solution is, but when i've run into this problem with PC's, deleting the offending message straight off the server worked well.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Any tips on finding the bad message?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Last Friday, I dumped all the files that Andy's Blog suggested...mail is still eating all my CPU.

Now it gets stuck at 75% while sorting messages.

I have no idea what to do next.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I finally admitted defeat and called Apple. They had me drag my entire mail folder out to the desktop, remove com.apple.mail.plist, and relaunch mail. The problem is solved.

The only downside is that I don't have anyway to view my old messages. Do any of you know of a mail-viewer? Or is there a way to look at these old messages w/o re-importing them to mail?