Clare Short: "We bugged Kofi!"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You remember Clare; left-wing Labour MP, quit because the war in Iraq was a really stupid thing to do.

Weeeeel, the case against the whistleblower who leaked the email from the NSA to the UK GCHQ (the one that said, "Hey guys, give us a hand in breaking the Vienna convention) collapsed because the defence was going to insist on seeing the UK's internal legal justification for the war, for which there wasn't any unfortunately.

Still with me?

This morning, she went on the radio in the UK about the issue and said, (I paraphrase), "Well duh. No shit, of course we bugged the UN. For bloody ages. I read the Kofi transcripts myself."

Boom.

It's going to go mental here. Blair might have to ... uh ... well, he'll sort something out, but he looks a bit more dodgy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Of course, Lord Hutton has already proved that the government always acts without a blemish on its character. How could anyone even believe such stupid, unfounded accusation. Lets blame it on the BBC I say.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    BBC? Wasn´t that the ones who smuggled out all Iraqs WoMDs just before the war just to make B&B look stupid? Or did I accidentily read the script for the next official investigating?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

BBC? Wasn´t that the ones who smuggled out all Iraqs WoMDs just before the war just to make B&B look stupid?

I think you're right, wasn't it John Stimpson who stuffed them all down his flak jacket?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Who knows about microphones, radio and investigative journalism?

Who broadcast a series call "Spooks"?

I rest my case.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I wonder how long it will be before Claire Short commits suicide because she feels disgraced, Another enquiry for Hutton perhaps.

- Claire Short had no basis for her accusation. The accusation is completely unfounded. Although, it is possible that Blair did subconsciously influence MI5 spies to bug the head of the UN.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Looks like it was in time for Hutton to retire. He have been cranking out these investigations for ages.

Quote:

http://Hutton on the sinking of the ... as found here

Summing up, Lord Hutton stressed that the crew of the ship were "emphatically not to blame" for the tragedy which cost many lives. Although His Lordship accepted that the crew may have been "subconsciously" aware of an infantile desire by their superiors to break records for the transatlantic crossing, claims that undue pressure was put on them to ignore warnings and proceed willy-nilly into the unknown were "without foundation".

Animadverting briefly to the fact that the speed of the ship was, given the conditions, contrary to generally accepted and well established international maritime convention, His Lordship said that this "was beyond the terms of his remit" and that the blame for the tragedy lay fairly and squarely with the iceberg, which had clearly drifted south "without proper authorisation" very early in the morning.

• Reply 7 of 11
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    [replied in anger at Blair - nevermind]
  • Reply 8 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

It's going to go mental here. Blair might have to ... uh ... well, he'll sort something out, but he looks a bit more dodgy.

Are you honestly surprised that British Intelligence was bugging the UN ? Is anyone ?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Anders, The Onion?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Are you honestly surprised that British Intelligence was bugging the UN ? Is anyone ?

No, and no.

Not a bit.

But it's going to go mental here!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Unfortunately its not going as mental as hoped.

I dont understand (well I do really) why we are only given the summary of the Judges document on the legality of the war. I guess he said it was barely legal, but strongly advised against it. I suppose the summary we are allowed to see is the favourable parts of his conclusion montaged into a single page.

No action against Claire Short, means that the government is frightened of the evidence coming out in court.

More and more each day, I'm beginning to believe that democracy is just an elected dictatorship.