iTunes Radio

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone think iTunes Radio needs revamping?

All other media players have a good interface for radio. iTunes has been the same ever since 1.0 and it is sorely lacking. They need to give the radio component a iTMS-ish look with a better UI.

If you look at or use Media player or Real, they have a good interface for Radio. Even those web based radio stations did a better job at serving up the net stations.

What would be even nicer is to be able to create my own station based on my music and stream it out to the web, but unfortunately, they disabled that feature and only allow LAN streaming.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

yeah, that last feature would be cool - btw can you add stations to iTunes and /or use it like Real or are you stuck with the stations Apple give you ?

You can add stations all day long, you just have to know the IP or web address. You select "Open Stream" and just type it in.

Good Luck
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I miss being able to customise the radio categories, remove not wanted radio stations and adding my own. I can only add new stations to the library and that sux
  • Reply 3 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    all other media players on the windows plat. make ya jump through ten hoops of BS, itunes is forward honest and SIMPLE, keep it this way, that said, being able to add/remove radio stations as ya see fit would be cool., less is MORE
  • Reply 4 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

What would be even nicer is to be able to create my own station based on my music and stream it out to the web, but unfortunately, they disabled that feature and only allow LAN streaming.

That's because as soon as you stream to a general audience, you're broadcasting, and you're paying royalties on the songs that you stream. Or you're getting sued and shut down. This is not a position that Apple wants its customers to get into easily.

If you want to broadcast, get QTSS, set up a server, get your contractual ducks in a row, and find a funding source.

Now, personally, I'd love to see this feature too. I'm just pointing out that there's no way it's going to happen, for reasons well and truly outside of Apple's control. At least non-profit webcasters were able to get bearable royalty rates out of the FCC.