AI ads make no sense

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
why is Quilted northern toilet paper advertising on a computer site?

any money is good money, but this gives a new meaning to 'dirty money'

in seriousness, ai is great and they are smart to advertise here, i gust found this funny

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Actually, the content of the ads suggest that the owners of this site are VERY desperate for money. Healthy sites have targeted ads for their unique user demographics. AI, on the other hand, apparently belongs to one of those ad networks that just spew all sorts of random ads at the viewers. This mean AI probably isn't making enough money off of them to get anywhere close to monthly server costs, not to mention paying the writers.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    AI pays the writers?!

i had just assumed they were volunteers.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    The folks that write the articles on the front end (Kasper and entourage) are compensated monetarily for their services. I just find it hard to believe that AI brings in enough money to support itself. These untargeted ads don't generate much revenue at all for sites...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I don't know, I think I just got a pretty killer deal on ass-wipe.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    There are ads?

• Reply 6 of 16
    It's "sense", toilet paper or not.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    So there is actually a risk that AI could go bankrupt? Then where would we all go?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

It's "sense", toilet paper or not.

I'm on it!

• Reply 9 of 16
    As site feedback, this belongs in Suggestions.

Moving...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

So there is actually a risk that AI could go bankrupt? Then where would we all go?

No, because AI is owned by MacNN. I guess if MacNN ever decided they didn't want AI, and Kasper was unable to financially support it, sure, it could go bankrupt. Your loyal and motivated forum mods and admins have contingency plans in place for just such an event, so rest assured.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member

... gotta love these hp ads.

now of cos all mac users run to buy a pc becos of these
  • Reply 12 of 16
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Your loyal and motivated forum mods and admins have contingency plans in place for just such an event, so rest assured.

LoCash: How would the dedicated mods communitcate the contingency plans to the membership in case of an emergency? Have you simply harvested e-mail addresses from the membership database? Do you have a backup of the forum archives?

It might make sense to disclose at least part of your contingency plans to its beneficiaries. E.g. "If AI forums go down, check out www.appleinsider2.com for further information."

Whatever happens, please make sure to avoid a repeat of the G4 Cube server loss and the subsequent Great Blackout.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 16
    We honestly don't believe these forums are going to be going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, in some form or another, it has been reaffirmed to us that they're going to stay put. That's what the Gods tell us.

If we ever felt the steadfastness of AI was in jeopardy, we do have means of notifying the members, and we do have the boards operating on a separate server. I don't think it is appropriate to be giving out that address currently though. It's something Brad and I set up a long time ago.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

If we ever felt the steadfastness of AI was in jeopardy, we do have means of notifying the members, and we do have the boards operating on a separate server. I don't think it is appropriate to be giving out that address currently though. It's something Brad and I set up a long time ago.

Thanks, LoCash. It's good to hear that there is functional off-site backup of the AI forums. If you have means of notifying the members, that's good enough for me. No need to publish a URL or IP address. I just wish somebody had been that responsible in the times of the G4 Cube. Then I could still go back to the "2400 dreams" thread. \

Escher
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Have you and Brad conjured up a nickname for this failsafe server, like "The Bunker"?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Hell, to show you its age, 'the bunker' has the old UBB install on it.