Cellulo - Not Much Talked About Here. How Come?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I only found a couple of past threads at AI mentioning Cellulo. Cellulo seems to be a neat little media player application a la mPlayer/VLC, yet I only came across it by chance today in the Mac section of my local PC World store. (All the machines had Cellulo or VLC not only installed, but running (as opposed to Quicktime) which I found strange...). How come no-one mentions Cellulo when they're advising newbies on alternative media players?

Anyway, I was wondering what ppl thought of it. I've only played around with it for a while. Its biggest downside is that it is based on Quicktime and so does not play .avi without you having to install a divX decoder. (Although, according to the website, .avi playback is well catered for once a decoder has been installed.) Its upside is that it has IMO a very nice interface a la iTunes. I think that I will continue to play DVDs using X's bundled Player and .avis using VLC. But I will start playing music videos (usually .mov) using Cellulo (to take advantage of the Playlist and Rating options).

So what's left for Quicktime...?

Do you have experience with Cellulo? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    OMG! Cellulo is awesome!

PROs:

1 You can play full screen (unlike QT standard) and at the touch of an icon (VLC needs a key combo/menu action). Unlike VLC, to make your second monitor go full screen, you don't have to alter 'Video Device' - you just move the viewing window onto the second monitor and then choose full screen. This feature is superb - I don't know any other apps that you can do this with (games included).

Full screen options are great:

- Standard full screen

- Full screen height

- Full screen width

- Zoom while in full screen

- Real-time resize during full screen playback (Do any other players do this?)

2 Playlists are retained after having quit the application (unlike VLC). Playlist creation/organisation is familiar - iTunes-like

3 Toolbar is customisable like Finder windows - Cellulo is very Apple and intuitive. (The play button blinks when playback is paused. Cool touch.)

4 After downloading DivX for Mac, .avi playback is awsome (no A-V syncing probs).

7 CPU usage is very acceptable, I'm watching South Park on my second screen with a total of 9 apps open and while typing in Safari. There is a little bit of lag but not in the sound, so you don't notice so much (obviously a proper movie would experience more lag).

CONS:

1 The movie 'disappears' if you choose Desktop Expose while in full screen mode rather than shrink into an ickle window (VLC shrinks nicely).

2 Being based on QT, I assume Cellulo can't play as many formats as VLC can.

</first impressions>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Last time I used it, it kinda sucked. But that was quite a while ago, before the Mac version of the DivX codec worked properly (prior to version 5.0.5, audio wouldn't play). I'll try it again when I get back from work.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    wow, omg, cellulo rocks! wow!