iPod users, please come in...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hi,

ive got this class and ive been assiged to write a report on apple iPods. one question that i have to answer is the target market of iPod users. so can everyone share their age? im 21 by the way. thanks all

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    It's "iPod", not "i-pod". I have edited your post and title to correct this error.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    I have a 10gig iPod and I'm 36.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    origional 5gig

• Reply 4 of 43
    Whoops! I forgot to mention that this also belongs in Digital Hub. Moving now...
  • Reply 5 of 43
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I got a great deal on a 30GB iPod and I'm 21 too.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    I have a 30GB and I'm 23.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    3rd gen 10gig, bought when i was 18, i'm 19 now.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Bought a 5GB when I was 17, which I sold. Then I bought a 10 GB when I was 18. Also, my mom bought a refurbished 5 GB when she was 48.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    40gig

• Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by appleeye

hi,

ive got this class and ive been assiged to write a report on apple iPods. one question that i have to answer is the target market of iPod users. so can everyone share their age? im 21 by the way. thanks all

Is this really what passes as research these days? Not to be picky but what exactly will this exercise prove. I can tell you already. Most people who own iPods are under 30 and strangely, they seem to be nearly all Mac users! In short, your sample population is going to skew your results so much as to make them utterly meaningless.

The target market is who Apple targets the product at (not necessarily the same thing as who buys it) and they're not saying specifically but you can make educated guesses by looking at iPod ads, how Apple promotes it on their web site, stevenotes etc. If you have to conduct a meaningless survey like this, you'd be better off doing it at somewhere like iPodlounge where at least you won't be largely excluding PC users (who BTW are a very important target market for Apple right now).
  • Reply 11 of 43
    I owned a 5 gig Original at age 16. Now I own a blue iPod mini, age 18.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Is this really what passes as research these days? Not to be picky but what exactly will this exercise prove. I can tell you already. Most people who own iPods are under 30 and strangely, they seem to be nearly all Mac users! In short, your sample population is going to skew your results so much as to make them utterly meaningless.

The target market is who Apple targets the product at (not necessarily the same thing as who buys it) and they're not saying specifically but you can make educated guesses by looking at iPod ads, how Apple promotes it on their web site, stevenotes etc. If you have to conduct a meaningless survey like this, you'd be better off doing it at somewhere like iPodlounge where at least you won't be largely excluding PC users (who BTW are a very important target market for Apple right now).

thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Most people who own iPods are under 30 and strangely, they seem to be nearly all Mac users! In short, your sample population is going to skew your results so much as to make them utterly meaningless.

Under 30 I believe, but nearly all mac users I have trouble with. I know plenty of PC users who own iPods. Some even family members who are getting them. Keep in mind this is Appleinsider, and all of us but a handful are mac users and advocates. The iPod didn't become the #1 portable music player solely on Apple's 3% marketshare.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

40gig

hehe, when your 50 youll probably be able to say say, "50, 50TB!
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Under 30 I believe, but nearly all mac users I have trouble with. I know plenty of PC users who own iPods. Some even family members who are getting them. Keep in mind this is Appleinsider, and all of us but a handful are mac users and advocates. The iPod didn't become the #1 portable music player solely on Apple's 3% marketshare.

Ebby that was my point. That by asking this question at AI the result will seem to suggest that nearly everybody who owns an iPod is a Mac user. That's why I suggested a trip to iPodlounge. Read my post again.

Anyway, appleeye just to screw with your age demographic I'm 42 (15 GB).
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Oops. Don't know how what slipped by.

So, yea. I second what crazychester said.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    15 gig - 22 years old
  • Reply 18 of 43
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I got my 5GB'er when I was 17. I'm 18 now.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    G2 10GB. Got it when I was 18, I'm now 19.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    17, 10GB iPod.

I wouldn't have gotten it but they gave me $200 off of the edu discount, so a 10GB iPod for $70 was too good to give up. All you needed to do was pay $2300 for a computer