Setting up SMB server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I would like to set up a SMB server for everyone on my local network that requires only a password to connect to. I have it set up now to allow access to anyone (security = share, guest ok = yes), but I would like only people who know a password to be able to connect (no matter the user name their client sends).

Also, I have the share points as folders in my home directory. I've had to change permissions on not only the folders that I'm sharing, but also on their parents. (eg. Group Staff: read only, as opposed to Staff: no access). Does this pose a security risk?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    All I want is a global password for all usernames. Anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Whats authentication are you going to use?

If its local then create an account called say 'smbuser' and set the password, point the home dir to your dir. Add smbdir to the say group as yourself and set the appropriate privs. Setup the smb share via workgroup manager and set smbuser as priv user for the share.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    That sounds great, but how do you do it? I can set up a user in system preferences, but I would much prefer the user not show up in the login list. Thanks for the help, but details would be much appreciated.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I take no responsibility if the following goes wrong. ( I usually tar/copy my /var/db/netinfo/local.nib dir so I can restore from single user mode).

If you do not know how to do it otherwise then setup your user in system preferences. If you do not want the username displayed in the logon list then disable the logon list and make it prompt for a username (System prefs, accounts, login options - Display login window as username and password).

Now create the user smbuser (example) in accounts.

Open Netinfo Manager under Applications/Utilities and enable changes.

click on users and your username. Note the GID (say 505).

Now click on the smbuser user and double click on the GID value field and change the GID to that of yourown. Now double click in the value field of home dir and change it to the dir you want to share.

Click on any other user and update.

Change permissions on the share dire (the same as the home dir of smbuser) to 775 (user and group all, world read and execute).

That should be it.

Dobby.