iPod problem and Apple's being mean

sinsin
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I've had my iPod since mid October, and just under a month back, things went screwy. I went to update my playlist as usual with iTunes (for Windows), and the iPod updater thing popped up, and told me that I needed to format the thing. So I do it, figuring "what do I know?", and things go wrong. Now it'll only turn on long enough to buzz a bit, show the Apple logo, then shut off again.

So, I've tried literally *everything* on all the help pages, and none of it helped. Most progress I made was doing a reset, and it flashed me the "Ok!" thing, then froze there for about... 10 hours.

So then, I try getting them to send me the thing so I can send it to them for servicing, and no matter what I do, I get this error message:

"Sorry...

Sorry, an error occurred and we had some trouble processing your request. Click the Reload or Refresh button to try again. If the problem persists, quit your browser, and start the transaction over again."

I've tried it twice, tried it in two different browsers, tried it on the computers at school, and have had no luck at all.

Then I call Apple, they refer me to a site that doesn't exist, after telling me I need to give them $50 to talk to them on the phone, and I'm back where I started.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Hold down the rewind and forward buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds. This will tell the iPod to boot into firewire mode, bypassing the software. Than backup, format, and install a fresh copy.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sinsin Posts: 4member
    I've tried that. No matter what I do, my computer won't even recognize that the iPod is there when I hook it up to try and update it, reinstall it, or anything of the sort.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Gotta call apple again then....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    plug in the ipod, put in the cd that same with it, and look around til you find software restore. dont worry about losing anything cause the ipod takes everything from your hard drive anyways (everything on the ipod will be "lost"). this will reformat back to factory condition, and you'll be all set.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Gotta call apple again then....

I did. They wanted $50. I have maybe $15 of change in a bucket.

I already tried the formatting thing. Maybe I'll try to re-format it. Formatting is what caused the problem in the first place, but maybe the third time'll be the charm.

Sometimes I hate technology so much. >_<
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ok, now I can't find the bloody disc again.

So, if I continue to not be able to find it, does anyone know what the heck would be giving me this damn message, right after the phone number/address thing?

Quote:

Sorry...

Sorry, an error occurred and we had some trouble processing your request. Click the Reload or Refresh button to try again. If the problem persists, quit your browser, and start the transaction over again.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?\