need ibook help

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i had a problem, with 10.3, i can't boot up right, or log in to my desktop om my ibook dual usb

i've got a :

external firewire drive

my ibook

my powermac

is there a way to hook my ibook up to my firewire drive to get my files off?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Do you have any third-party RAM in your iBook? Take that out and see if things improve. Otherwise, I'd have to think some more as to what your problem may be.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird

i had a problem, with 10.3, i can't boot up right, or log in to my desktop om my ibook dual usb

i've got a :

external firewire drive

my ibook

my powermac

is there a way to hook my ibook up to my firewire drive to get my files off?

Grab a firewire cable, connect your powermac to your ibook with it (with your ibook off), and start up the ibook while holding down t on your keyboard. this will startup your ibook in firewire target disk mode: effectively turning it into a firewire harddrive. your ibook's screen should turn blue, with a yellow firewire icon bouncing slowly around the screen. the ibook will mount on your powermac's desktop as a firewire harddrive. from here, you can either reinstall the os, do whatever filesystem maintainence is necessary, or pull off any files you feel like rescuing.

If you happened to have a spare firewire cable you could then theoretically move data directly from the ibook to your external drive via the powermac...

Oh: and try running the hardware test CD which came with your machine to see what it says...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    OK, thanks.

well, see my ibook wil start up but when it reaches the status screen, it hangs at "STARTING LOGIN WINDOW". I've tried everything, verbose mode, fsck, single user mode, it all hangs.

I've booted up w/ an OSX disk checked it, repaired it anyway, even repaired permissions. I even bought Disk Warrior, and rebuilt the directory. DIDN'T WORK. Still stalls.

So I figure I should just wipe it clean, but before I do so, I wanted to get my stuff off.

Thank you. If any of you have any ideas as to why it might be hanging, I'll check back here all day.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    You don't need to wipe it clean to reinstall the OS, especially if you've already repaired the directory structure with DiskWarrior. Just do an Archive and Install - it'll dump the old system files in /Previous Systems, whence you can rescue such preferences and bits of forgotten stuff you've missed. This is extremely unlikely to lose you data, although I would personally make a note of my IP, internet account info, etc. before I did it.

By the way: dead directory structures usually cause hangs before the login window - at the rotaty thing just after startup.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I know, but i think I don't have enough space left on my hard drive to do an Archive and Install. Its a 10 gigabyte hardrive, with 1 to 1.5 gigabytes free.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

I know, but i think I don't have enough space left on my hard drive to do an Archive and Install. Its a 10 gigabyte hardrive, with 1 to 1.5 gigabytes free.

That makes more sense.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    What makes more sense?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

What makes more sense?

Not just doing A&I when you're low on disc-space (rather than not doing it when you're not low on disc space).