g5 audio input

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i am having trouble getting my microphone to work with the g5 analog audio input

i am using a labtec mic, i have also tried another generic brand, but none work,

any help would be great

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    have you gone in to system prefs and changed the audio settings so that it knows to use the external mic?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    printoprinto Posts: 5member
    yeah, but there is no sound coming in to the computer, turning the volume up does nothing either.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The input is line level only; so, unless you have an externally powered mic (or an old Apple PlainTalk mic) you probably aren't going to get any (or much) sound.

A quote from Apple (PowerMac G5 Analog Audio Line-in)

Quote:

The Power Mac G5 has a stereo audio line-in jack on the back panel. The audio inputs are designed to accept high-level audio signals: 2.2 Vrms or +8 dbu, which is the standard output level from CD and DVD players. The output level of some consumer audio devices is lower, often 0.316 Vrms or ?10 dbV. Sound recordings made on the Power Mac G5 with such low-level devices have more noise than those made with high-level devices. The user may obtain better results by connecting an amplifier between the low-level device and the computer?s audio input jack.

The audio input jack is a 3.5 mm miniature phone jack with the signals connected as follows:

Tip: Left-channel audio

Ring: Right-channel audio

Sleeve: Audio ground

Based on a 1 kHz, 2VRMS sine wave input, 24-bit 44.1 kHz input format, 0 db input gain and no weighting, the line input has the following electrical characteristics :
    • maximum input voltage: 2.2 Vrms (+8 dBu)

• input impedance: > 47 kilohms

• bits per sample: 16-bit or 24-bit

• channel separation: greater than 75 dB

• frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +0.5 dB/?3.0 dB

• THD+N distortion: below < ?85 dB (no weighting)

If you want to use a generic microphone, you can get an adapter like the Griffin iMic.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    printoprinto Posts: 5member
    thanks for the help, i will check it out!