An urgentish question about electronics and air travel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm moving to China tomorrow, and I'll be taking a LaCie Big Disk, which is a rather honking piece of electronics. I'm wondering whether I should take it in my carry-on luggage, or in my checked bag. I hear the x-rays they set loose on checked luggage are a lot stronger than those your carry-on luggage has to cope with, so I'm wondering if putting the drive in my checked bag will not zap some critical data.

I'd prefer to transport it checked though, not only to reduce weight in the carry-on department, but also to avoid annoying questions in the various airports I'll be gracing with my presence.

Who has relevant info?

On a side note: I oft think back of the lost hours of lotus eating at AI with exquisite pleasure, and I hope you all are well. Consider yourself greeted.

Also sprach der Kopf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Your HDD will be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Hi, der kopf. Why are you going to China (if you don't mind my asking)? Anyway, good luck with your endeavors. You'll be missed around here....
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Hi, der kopf. Why are you going to China (if you don't mind my asking)? Anyway, good luck with your endeavors. You'll be missed around here....

he can't post from china?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

they have internet in china?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Carry on luggage!

This way it cannot be lost by the airline, or stolen.

I heard from people which had their Sony Playstation 2 stolen out of their checked bag (in Heatrow).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would carry it. Then you know it wasn't dropped. X-Rays will not harm hard drives but may damage film after multiple exposures.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

The chinese gov't doesn't like us.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    They don't like many sites...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I'm in China now, in Ji'nan, capital of the Shandong province, for those that care, sitting in my own (big, when compared to my expectations) apartment, using dialup. All is very nice. It's somewhat different than the one thousand year old medieval European style town I come from, but that's fine by me.

I followed most people's advice, by the way, and just carried it with me. A question was never asked about it. One Chinese official did give me some roughage (though nothing bad) over a bottle of Johnnie Walker I was carrying with me. I have a weak spot for Scotch.

To Torifile: after withering away for a year and a half on unemployment, I wandered off the beaten path and took on a teaching position in China. Teaching English (EFL style), that is. I've yet to teach my first class, but I'm guessing it'll be okay.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    sounds like a great adventure in the offing.

i'm concerned now.

i'm going to china in a couple of months and now i'm concerned about updating my blog while i'm there. i've been told i won't have a problem getting connected but i never thought about not being able to get to sight or be censored, in what i write.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

sounds like a great adventure in the offing.

i'm concerned now.

i'm going to china in a couple of months and now i'm concerned about updating my blog while i'm there. i've been told i won't have a problem getting connected but i never thought about not being able to get to sight or be censored, in what i write.

You could always email blog entries to a friend to put onto your blog if all else fails...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

they have internet in china?

They have computers?