P900 killer from Moto

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Mobile Burn is covering the newly announced Moto smart phone. It's based on the same software platform as the P900. A sample:

Quote:

Motorola announced their latest 3G handset, the A1000, at the recent 3GSM conference. The A1000 delivers video conferencing capabilities, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and PDF document viewing capabilities via the Picsel Document Viewer, and full HTML browsing with Opera. It also boasts an impressive array of multimedia functions, including an integrated 1.2 mega pixel camera (with 4x zoom), video and audio streaming, capture and playback with MPEG4 and MP3 files, and dual-audio speakers.

And now a picture:

The mobile phone space is really heating up. By the end of the year there should be 2 dozen bluetooth, luxury/smart phones out with varying form factors and most importantly from multiple vendors. Sony Ericsson is going to announce their 2004 lineup in a few days so stay tuned to see the much rumored T650 and P1000. New phone here I come.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Nice to see the phone industry is starting to move forward again after the fairly slow period we've had recently. I have to say even though I don't know the spec comparisons between the A1000 and the P900, I have to say that Moto is one ugly phone (looks a lot like the old Nokia 7650).

Do you know when and where Sony Ericsson are releasing info on their new phones? I've been very close to purchasing the T630 but after seeing a brief glimpse of the T650 I can't push myself to spend at the moment.

Oh well, I guess another few months of waiting is in hand...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    nguyenhm16nguyenhm16 Posts: 203member
    P1000? I can't even get my hands on a P900 (from a cell phone co. in the US, that is) yet. Why don't they make things actually available before they announce new models? For that matter, is the GSM Treo 600 available in the US yet?

The cell phone industry is the worst at this whole next-big-thing-around-the-corner thing. I've been waiting almost two years for a Bluetooth capable phone that didn't suck in some way; whenever I'm determined to get a particular model, they announce a new version will some must-have feature/fix.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    im happy, att finally started selling the 6820. ive been waiting forever to get this phone

what do you guys think?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    That 6820 looks pretty nice but I personally have had enough of Nokias. I can't comment on the newer models, but of the three Nokias I've had (3210, 6510, 7250 all UK models) they have all been as buggy as hell and pretty lacking compared to other phones on the market.

As I said though I haven't had a chance to check out the newer models so don't take much notice of my rant. Just make sure you get a few minutes to try it out first!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bjerbjer Posts: 67member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by HOM

[B]Mobile Burn is covering the newly announced Moto smart phone. It's based on the same software platform as the P900. A sample:

Not quite a fair comparison. Sony-Ericsson has been selling a 1.2 megapixel camera phone in Japan for months now. The new Moto is a 3 G phone and the P900 is 2.5G. Wait till the SE 3 G phones come out and then do a comparison. Of course you won't see 3 G networks in most of the world yet (including the US), so that means buying a Ferrari to run on cobble stone alley way?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

P1000? I can't even get my hands on a P900 (from a cell phone co. in the US, that is) yet. Why don't they make things actually available before they announce new models? For that matter, is the GSM Treo 600 available in the US yet?

ah! now you know how us UK people feel about apple and its US-centric releases!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

P1000? I can't even get my hands on a P900 (from a cell phone co. in the US, that is) yet.

If you're willing to drop the $$, you can get the p900 from a couple of places online. Try www.gsmphonesource.com or the US store on www.expansys.com.

Keep in mind that these places sell unlocked handsets without contracts, so you won't get the kind of discount fuond when buying a phone with a new contract. Expect prices of $800 and up for the p900. Even with a contract they go for around $500. Check the forums at www.howardforums.com for info on how and where to get the phone you want at the best price.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by your_ad_here

That 6820 looks pretty nice but I personally have had enough of Nokias. I can't comment on the newer models, but of the three Nokias I've had (3210, 6510, 7250 all UK models) they have all been as buggy as hell and pretty lacking compared to other phones on the market.

As I said though I haven't had a chance to check out the newer models so don't take much notice of my rant. Just make sure you get a few minutes to try it out first!

im kinda hooked on the nokia's. i tried my friends t610, but i didnt like the way it worked. ive played with the 6800, and i liked it alot, i would have bought it then, but the lack of bluetooth irritated me. a camera on a phone is no incentive to me at all, i just wanted bluetooth in a form factor similar to my nokia 6360.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

If you're willing to drop the $$, you can get the p900 from a couple of places online. Try www.gsmphonesource.com or the US store on www.expansys.com.

Keep in mind that these places sell unlocked handsets without contracts, so you won't get the kind of discount fuond when buying a phone with a new contract. Expect prices of $800 and up for the p900. Even with a contract they go for around $500. Check the forums at www.howardforums.com for info on how and where to get the phone you want at the best price.

Yeah, I realize that. But they're probably grey imports, etc. I don't understand how it can take so long for Cingular, T-Mobile, ATTWS, etc. to pick these phones up. Or look at the Treo 600, only recently have you been able to get a hold of a GSM version (partly Handspring's fault, true), while the CDMA version has been out forever. Clearly there's a market, they're selling those bulky, crappy PocketPC phones.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'm surprised no one commented on this, but the 1.2 Megapixel camera sounds like something that you can actually use to take pictures.

Another nice point is Opera. I once did a bit of work at acceptance testing mobile Opera, and it really works most of the time.

Having said that, I wish they came out with better *phones* instead of these bloatphones once in a while.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    As a Treo 600 owner, I can only tell you how plaeased I ama with it, so much better then the awful Sony T610. With the Treo I can sync ALL my contacts and appointments. There is also a huge number of relevany applications available, it is just so well supported. the lack of bluetooth is a dissapointment and the screen is only 160x160 which again is a dissapointment, but inspite of thee shortcommings it has far more use for me than either the p800 or p900.

I think that once Treo will address these two minor problems and possibily improve the camera (Not an issue for me) in the next model. The only bad thing about Treo is they havn't got a clue about marketing. The Sonys are available from every carrier and once released deliveries are seldom a big problem. I did like the bluetooth of the Sony T610, but the hotsync cable supplied with the Treo works every time.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    You will never be able to buy a P900 from the US carriers; it doesn't fit their business model. Just buy it direct from Sony Ericsson; then you know it's not grey-market.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

You will never be able to buy a P900 from the US carriers; it doesn't fit their business model. Just buy it direct from Sony Ericsson; then you know it's not grey-market.

AT&T Wireless was offering the P800 for a while for $500 with a contract. I was thinking of getting one too, but it required a two year contract otherwise it was $799 with a one year contract and for that I could get it unlocked directly from SE.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Can anyone confirm that the 6820 works with iSync?

If it is based on the Series 60 platform like the other supported Nokia phones you should not have a problem, but no guarantees.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    i cant find where i read it, but i believe the 6820 is a series 40 phone, however, it does support syncML if that matters.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    regarding the a1000's 3G band:

does anyone know the specific specs and details of the 3G band it uses?

i presume it is W-CDMA, but i am looking for more detailed info on the details of this band.

anyone know??