Simple bandwidth monitor needed.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Yo, just got a T1 installed at my house.

Anyone have a simple GUI app like the processor monitor which will watch my bandwidth so I know when I am maxing out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Just wondering...

what in the hell do you need a T1 in your home for?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Work for an uber big telcom now. As one of our 'core products' we resell other ILECs T1s. I put 3 into my house, but the new model cisco 'swells' are so damn loud that I had to cut off both of them and hang off the single 2400. Long story short, I work from home one day a week. T1s are a must. Been considering putting up a special server for the AIers.

PS, I guess this is as good a time to mention as any that I have some extreme inside access to many large telco, voip, and industry lobiest. If you all need info from somebody in the FCC for instance, I can get it. (kinda my job doncha know)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Guess I'll plug the company too. If anyone in the Greater Atlanta area needs a T1. PM me and I'll get you in touch with our sales team.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Oh.. That's neat!

Too bad about the loud Cisco equipment... hehe I am taking CCNA right now (for free via my highschool) and their switchs are too loud for me.

Sorry I can't help you with the monitor thing... I could only suggest putting a Linux box infront of your computer on your network (as a router or somthing useful) and have it email you the network activity whenever it reaches a point... or hell have it output the bandwith activity on a monitor...

But then again that may be overkill and only good if you have many computers connecting to the T1 at any point in time... and I like Linux and feel the need to plug it in anything.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    well.. not in GUI..

But I found it useful in terminal.. and type bmon command..

of course.. you need to do some work first

http://www.resexcellence.com/hack_ht...12-11-03.shtml
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you just want Kb, Mb or the sort in text, I would use Menu Meters. Nice simple app that doesn't take up much space and it is free.8)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

well.. not in GUI..

But I found it useful in terminal.. and type bmon command..

of course.. you need to do some work first

http://www.resexcellence.com/hack_ht...12-11-03.shtml

Wow... I just compiled and ran it on my Linux box... what a nice tool.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

If you just want Kb, Mb or the sort in text, I would use Menu Meters. Nice simple app that doesn't take up much space and it is free.8)

Thanks! I saw a screenshot of someone using it, but did not find out the name. Appreciate it!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    What do you want to measure?

Don't you need a WAN analyser at both ends to measure accurate performance?

As you work for a big telco can't you just enable SNMP traps on the cisco's at both ends and use Cisco Works on a spare V420 (4GB & 4 x CPU is recommended).

Throw in a couple of NSMs (depending on switch) and your done.

Other than this I recommend Packetboy on a PC laptop. The demo doesn't display every 3rd packets contents but you can see the header which is fine.

Dobby.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    MenuMeters is the shit. i put it on every machine i run.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Same here.

I recommend it highly.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

After running it for the weekend I'm sold.

Sweet product!

Thanks guys!