Serious competition for Apple in the notebook space...LOL

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I came across this on my travels today... http://www.notebookreview.com/default.aspx?newsID=1757

While the specs are, to be honest, nice, I think that Dell has finally managed to outdo itself in terms of industrial design. This is the ugliest piece of technology that I have ever laid ayes on...it is bigger than a breadbox!

Jonathan Ive had better watch out!

LOL LOL LOL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Acer is making a 17" notebook that weighs 16 pounds.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Well, all knocks aside, they DO have A LOT of power, for a notebook...but...use the term 'notebook' lightly, those things are barely suitable for travel or portable use.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    Laptops for x86 are designed in the mindset of a desktop replacement, not as something you can pull out in a class room and use like an ibook.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Here's the Acer Monster.

120GB 7200RPM drive in that bad boy.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    This is old news, someone made a mockery out of this a while back.

"Designed to help you in your computing needs and to help you with your fitness goals: the new 20 lb Backpackbook."
  • Reply 6 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Let's say I like using my notebook at work and at home.

Carrying around 9 lbs SUCKS. 16 is even more ridiculous. When I used to carry my PC notebook and my Ti, just getting the bag from the parking lot to the office upstairs was a pain in the ass (and on the arm). Carrying the Ti alone is really no prob. But add the usual papers and books to the mix and you're lugging around 20lbs if you have the acer.

Why not just build a shuttle PC and carry that under your arm? It's certainly cheaper.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Same weight as a Mac Plus.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

This is old news, someone made a mockery out of this a while back.

"Designed to help you in your computing needs and to help you with your fitness goals: the new 20 lb Backpackbook."

Yup.

It's so big it deserves two threads though.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Think carrying phone books......

By the way.....I even find the 5.9lb iBook HEAVY after carrying it around for over 4 hours......
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Think carrying phone books......

By the way.....I even find the 5.9lb iBook HEAVY after carrying it around for over 4 hours......

Not going to the jym as much, Leonis?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I always have to marvel at how much lighter my 15" AlBook is compared to my roommate's Sony Vaio notebook. Compared to the rest of the industry, Apple's notebooks are significantly thinner, lighter, AND quieter when comparing units of similar features/cost. Even when my Powerbook's fan is on it's WAY quieter than his Vaio.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Not going to the jym as much, Leonis?

nah....

I actually can carry heavy stuff. But when you have to carry one thing with your shoulder for over 4 hours a day (even it's light).....your shoulder will get sore.....I think it's partically due to the shoulder belt of the carrying bag.....
  • Reply 13 of 16
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I guess its ok if it isnt going to be used for anything except, "around the house portability." Other than that, it is a desktop, IN a desktop's body...but it has a battery or 10 inside it.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

I came across this on my travels today... http://www.notebookreview.com/default.aspx?newsID=1757

This is the ugliest piece of technology that I have ever laid ayes on...it is bigger than a breadbox!

This is ugly, but the screen resolution beats the ALbook's
  • Reply 15 of 16
    The Macintosh Portable was lighter than the Acer.

This is ridiculous, folks. And it seems like it's going to continue getting worse before it gets better.

My iBook inspires a lot of envy at school. Many of my friends say they would like to carry their laptops around, but they're too big and heavy. I have one of the few laptops available that fits on those half-desk foldaways they have.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Laptops for x86 are designed in the mindset of a desktop replacement, not as something you can pull out in a class room and use like an ibook.

Actually they are mostly targeting cheap people! PC laptop makers have been using desktop chips for years because they are significantly cheaper than what intel charges for mobile processors. That is why intel came out with Centrino...because the average chip price in laptops were falling, and it was killing their margins. Centrino was like a magic profit pill, and the OEMs jumped on it because average laptop prices were falling too much.