LOL new evidence of how wal-mart's music store will fail!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
found this article through macbytes. it appears wal mart will be putting a 10 BURN limit on its tracks. for anyone without an ipod (or equivalent) only 10 cd's can be burned with a purchased track! what the hell?! i can see some law suits over this unless they advertise it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Huh? Look at part 3 on this page:

http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/ca...et/TourServlet

It's clearly advertised on that page, which is linked by "Learn More" from their main music store home page.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Huh? Look at part 3 on this page:

http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/ca...et/TourServlet

It's clearly advertised on that page, which is linked by "Learn More" from their main music store home page.

my main point about it failing had nothing to do with the law suits. the 10 burn thing is ridiculous.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    For $.88 you have to give up something.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Funny... they obviously used a Mac in OS 9 to take this little promotional screen shot:

This despite the fact that it won't work on a Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    lol
  • Reply 6 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How will even walmart make money with this? I bet Apple will be the only competitor left after 04 unless another hardware company gets involved.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    wait...am I missing something here? I thought iTMS had a 10 BURN limit too?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

wait...am I missing something here? I thought iTMS had a 10 BURN limit too?

Only if you use the same playlist
  • Reply 9 of 14
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

Only if you use the same playlist

hmm, interesting, so you can burn the same singular song file as many times as you want? I didn't know that
  • Reply 10 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

hmm, interesting, so you can burn the same singular song file as many times as you want? I didn't know that

Yup, it's the playlist that counts. So, if you were really creative, you could make a "blank" track and just move it between the other tracks in the list after 10 burns and then burn 10 more times, move it, etc. But only if you were desperate for making tons of copies (which is bad ).
  • Reply 11 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Of course, if you were really desparate you could use Applescript to change playlists.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    If all else fails... perhaps people could get to know the real Wal-Mart and learn what Wal-Mart has to do to their suppliers and employees so Joe Consumer can save a few cents on a song or a new pair of underwear. Unfortunately... most people will go where it's cheapest out of pocket (i.e. Wal-Mart)... I will NEVER shop at a Wal-Mart for anything... and actively promote other online music services...

http://edworkforce.house.gov/democra.../rel21604.html
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

If all else fails... perhaps people could get to know the real Wal-Mart and understand how they are saving a few cents on a song or a new pair of underwear. Unfortunately... most people will go where it's cheapest out of pocket (i.e. Wal-Mart)... I will NEVER shop at a Wal-Mart for anything... and actively promote other online music services...

http://edworkforce.house.gov/democra.../rel21604.html

edit: nevermind... i get it now

you mean "perhaps people could get to know the real Wal-Mart and understand how [Wal-mart is] saving a few cents on a song"
  • Reply 14 of 14
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

edit: nevermind... i get it now

you mean "perhaps people could get to know the real Wal-Mart and understand how [Wal-mart is] saving a few cents on a song"

Yeah... I did a fairly convoluted post there... just cleaned it up a bit to make it more clear.