Lenses for my Canon Digital Rebel

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello!

I recently purchased the Canon Digital Rebel and it's awesome.

I'm learning how to shoot in manual mode. This camera is so cool that it's worth the investment.

Lenses. How many lenses does a person with an SLR really need?

Can anyone explain if there is a significant difference between the Canon brand lenses and the other brand, Sigma, that's always in the stores?

There's so many lenses I don't know where to start looking. I know I'd like a telephoto as well as a wide angle for now.

And does anyone know what the normal settings for shutter speed and arpeture are for taking pics indoors?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    hi O-Mac!

im thinking of getting the digital rebel too, or the model just above it which isn't as crippled with manual functions, the 10d, but its 1499 vs 899 for the rebel. (thats 1499 for the body only i see)

heres a page that compaires the two:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

about halfway down you see the table showing the diffrences between the two cameras. so im wondering if i should spring for the extra 600 to get the 10d plus however much more for the lens etc.

of course im new to photography but dont see why i should have to start dumbed-down with the g5 which i was going to get. i think a digital slr is a better bet. the rebel is only 300 more than the g5. (some places are selling the rebel kit for 749 and the d10 body for 899!)

when did you buy it?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    beige_g3beige_g3 Posts: 203member
    I agree with tonton on the lens suggestions. Canon lenses are extremely good, but you will do well with tamron or sigma lenses as well. The faster the lens (lowest possible f stop), the better. A fast lens will allow you to work more effectively in lower light and it will auto focus faster. As far as settings, with a digital camera you have the freedom to experiment and see what look good right away without wasting film. Just tinker with it a bit. Remember while f-stop and shutter speed each affect the amount of light that reaches the film (or sensor), these adjustments have other important effects. The faster the shutter speed, the better you capture motion. The smaller the f-stop (f2.8 vs f 11 for example) , the lower the depth of field (DOF). The greater the DOF , the further in front and behind of the focused subject that will be sharp. Sometimes you want a large DOF (scenery), other times you want it small (portrait).

Check out www.popphoto.com for information and discussions that might be helpful.

ALSO ...note that the angle of view for a given lens will be different on your dig rebel than on a film 35 mm. This is because the size of the digital sensor is smaller than a 35 mm frame. Learn about this before you buy lenses.

Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    i have also ordered the rebel with the kit lens (rather good if you don't use it at full aperture).

I have a canon EF 35-105 (17 years old) and a macro 50 mm 2,5 (very sharp).

In order to answer your question you have to know what type of photos you want to take ?

Sport : 200 or 300 mm lens

Wildlife : a bit more 300 or 400

landscapes : wide angle : the kit lens or an expansive but razor sharp 17-40 L from canon (good choice for a general purpose lens)

general : the 28-105 USM 2 (very good quality price ratio) or the brillaint 24-70 L serie (rather expansive)

Personally i will consider later the 70-300 DO lens with image stabilisator. It's a brand new lens from canon with a low weight an image stabilisator (good for sports or widlife) : can wait to see the first tests.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beige_G3

I agree with tonton on the lens suggestions. Canon lenses are extremely good, but you will do well with tamron or sigma lenses as well. The faster the lens (lowest possible f stop), the better. A fast lens will allow you to work more effectively in lower light and it will auto focus faster. As far as settings, with a digital camera you have the freedom to experiment and see what look good right away without wasting film. Just tinker with it a bit. Remember while f-stop and shutter speed each affect the amount of light that reaches the film (or sensor), these adjustments have other important effects. The faster the shutter speed, the better you capture motion. The smaller the f-stop (f2.8 vs f 11 for example) , the lower the depth of field (DOF). The greater the DOF , the further in front and behind of the focused subject that will be sharp. Sometimes you want a large DOF (scenery), other times you want it small (portrait).

Check out www.popphoto.com for information and discussions that might be helpful.

ALSO ...note that the angle of view for a given lens will be different on your dig rebel than on a film 35 mm. This is because the size of the digital sensor is smaller than a 35 mm frame. Learn about this before you buy lenses.

Good luck!

You are right : don't forget the crop factor : for the rebel it's 1,6. It means that a 100 mm zoom will act like a 160 mm. Good for tele, bad for wide angles. That's why excepting the kit lens wide angles are pretty expansive, but a 17 mm equal a 28 mm. And 28 mm is not so wide.

Concerning lenses, my advice will be buy few, but buy them great. My 17 lens is still worthy, but your rebel will be obsolete in three years. buy the best lenses you can afford.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Anyway i was so enthousiastic about the subject that i forget to mention that this thread belong to the digital hub forum : i move it here. You will discover there others threads about digital photography and SLR.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Right now I have the kit lens and the Canon USM III 75 - 300mm lens. With the 1.6 cropping factor, that works out to be a 120 - 480 mm lens.

My next lens will be the f1.8 50mm lens. Supposedly the best bang for the $$ lens out there (<$100). They have the f1.4 50mm lens (mentioned above I believe) but that runs over $300. It all depends on how serious you want to get with the lenses.

If money is no object, then you want to go for the L series lenses, also you can get IS (Image Stabilzation) lenses too.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beige_G3

Good luck!

Beige_G3 thank you, thats the first time i've heard an explanation on "depth of field" that i could understand. im a newbie and alot of these sites assume you are a pro and use terminology that i just don't get. for instance they talk about the rebel not having a "full frame" sensor as if i knew what that meant. but now i think im coming around to that as i do more research.

do you guys know of any newbie friendly digital slr sites that i could check out? i will check out popphoto

i found a good tutorial site about lighting (i never knew how important lighting was until then)

do you think its better to go with the 10d so that i have some growth room ahead of me as i gain more knowledge? or should i start with the digital rebel? i really want to learn the manual controls and i feel the 10d is better suited for that.

this is the lowest price i've seen for the rebel (body only):

http://www.digitalliquidators.com/de...s300d&l=google
  • Reply 9 of 15
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Check their reviews before orderingBizRate for Digital Liquidators
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Check their reviews before ordering

for Digital Liquidators[/URL]

ahhhhh...

i knew there had to be a catch somewhere, the prices were too low. i thought maybe they were refurbs or something. thank you

that explains THAT!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The best price I can find for the Digital Rebel from a highly rated company is:The Best Things

Here's a link to their reviews: BizRate for The Best Things

I haven't done business with them yet, but I might just buy the camera from them.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I ordered my canon digital rebel from apple in January- it was back ordered for about a week and then got pushed back even more- so I canceled my order from them and decided to look elsewhere.

I got it from crutchfield- no tax and free shipping. So I ended up saving money- I just like to support apple so I figured I would order it from them.

I'm in the same dilemma here too- I can't decide what lens to get next....I got the kit lens (which is a good starter lens, but I need something a little faster I think 'cause I hate using the flash! I think I'm going to spring for the 50mm

It seems like a too deal- too bad its going to be an 80mm with the 1.6 multiplier.

The next thing I need to get is a bigger CF card. I only got a 64MB one and its killing me.

I just got an Epson R300 printer today- which I'm very impressed with (my autoshow pics look freakin' awesome on some of the prints that I did). Not bad for $179.

Peace
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

The best price I can find for the Digital Rebel from a highly rated company is:The Best Things

Here's a link to their reviews: BizRate for The Best Things

I haven't done business with them yet, but I might just buy the camera from them.

doing research before buying is good im finding out lol this is interesting:

http://www.thebestthings.com/misc/mappricing.html
  • Reply 14 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

It seems like a too deal- too bad its going to be an 80mm with the 1.6 multiplier.

Too bad?? To me, 80mm is a far more useful focal length than 50mm equivalent.