Dell versus the eMac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was doing research for a new computer for my parents and on comparing the home desktop Dell versus the eMac I concluded that the eMac was better.

Why?

Well, it wasn't completely because of technical reasons:

1. The eMac is one piece not like a tower, monitor etc...which would have to be hauled all over if they wanted it moved.

2. From a hardware point of view it's all the same especially for my parents who probably wouldn't be using it as much anyway.

3. The prices were about the same. Actually i think the Dell would have been more expensive in the long run b/c of MS Office (cha ching), and the other extra apps...at least the eMac has all the apps you need all in one. and they all work!!

4. Looks. The eMac looks a lot nicer then some ugly looking grey box.

5. I've had my Mac for about a year now and I still haven't been vitimized by a virus like those PC's...and that the one thing my parents need is a headache from a piece of machinery...

So there you go. No technical jargon. to sum it up the eMac looks nice and it works AND it's not expensive compared to the cheapest PC...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

3. The prices were about the same. Actually i think the Dell would have been more expensive in the long run b/c of MS Office (cha ching), and the other extra apps...at least the eMac has all the apps you need all in one. and they all work!!

Well, MS Office will also cost you a hefty penny for the eMac. Apple still doesn't have any comparable software to Office. Sure, there's AppleWorks, but that thing is so old it's gathering dust. I suppose if they just need a *basic* office app and are willing to learn a different UI (assuming they are used to MS Office), AppleWorks should work fine.

The eMac does come with a limited 30-day demo of MS Office. This is a far cry from the real thing and I hope this was clear when you made your purchase.

Anyhow, that issue aside, I hope you and your parents enjoy the new eMac.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    if youre a student you might be able to get a legal copy of office for 5 bucks.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ariari Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if youre a student you might be able to get a legal copy of office for 5 bucks.

Where?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    At your school. Each school has a different licensing agreement with MS. Here at UNC, it's $10.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    and dells are black now.

OoOOoOooO BIG DIFFERENCE! haha

yeah I think emacs are better too. Just the fact that it isn't a dell or runs windows far outweighs everything else
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well setting this aside... Dell has cleaned up their act a bit in the past year or so. You have to give them that.

Their PCs are neer silent, stable, and well supported. Mind you I would still install Linux on one... even if it came with Windows.

It's funny that their N series (comes without an OS installed) ships with a freeDOS CD inside the box.

I would go for the eMac just for the ease of use.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I would go for the eMac just for the ease of use.

Precisely.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    We recently got a new snow-white eMac at work and it's pretty nice. Good screen, all-in-one... Though for myself, I demand upgradability from my computer - so no e/iMacs for me. A G5 will do nicely.

I also recently set up a Dell box and I will give them this much... it is by far the quietest computer in the shop. I had to put my ear to it just to make sure nothing was wrong! Eerie quiet.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Yeah, IMO, Dells are actually pretty decent to me. Quiet too...my mother recently bought a Dell laptop (2.39 GHz) and it feels SO MUCH smoother and faster than the HP downstairs (which is 2.19 GHz).

I haven't personally tried the eMac yet..and whether I'd buy it or not is questionable. I might get something with more room for expansion (after learning from this iMac..)