Very small Airport Extreme networks

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
At the moment I have a G4 tower which is connected to the familiy peripherals such as the printer and the ADSL modem, and my own iBook which is sometimes connected to my studio peripherals or which I can take anywhere else in the house. At the moment if I need to print or connect to the internet I just connect an ethernet cable from the iBook to the G4 tower. This works very well but soon I would like to be able to connect these compuetrs wirelessly. If I can do this without an Airport base station it would be useful as it is not at all difficult to start up the G4 tower when I need to connect to the internet or printer.

The Apple website says that with Airport Extreme, computers can connect using Rendezvous without a base station, what sort of range would would this connection have? Do both computers have to have Airport Extreme cards rather than just Airport for this to work? and if so, are Airport extreme cards compatible with Graphite G4s?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Okay, first of all, Airport Extreme is backwards compatible with Airport. In other words, it will slow down to Airport speeds if necessary. Now to your questions:

Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

what sort of range would would this connection have?

It may not be quite as good as a base station, but it'd still be pretty good. If you have problems with it, you can always buy a base station and then use it as a relay-like device to take the signal from the tower and rebroadcast it.

Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

Do both computers have to have Airport Extreme cards rather than just Airport for this to work? and if so, are Airport extreme cards compatible with Graphite G4s?

Yes, both computers will have to have whatever respective card they can take, but like I said before, AE is backwards compatible with A.

It depends on which Power Mac you have as to whether it will take an AE card or not. Check these Power Mac profiles to find out which yours has. If both machines have AE, then you'll be able to network them at faster speeds. If either has only Airport, then slower speeds will apply. No matter how you slice it, it's unlikely that your internet connection will speed up.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thank you for your advice on this. I will buy and AirPort Extreme card for the iBook soon, and see if there is somewhere I can test out the range without a base-station. If it's acceptable then I'll buy an AirPort card for the G4, but if it's too short I'll buy a base station and just plug it into the tower via ethernet as I don't want to spend money on unnecessary hardware. Hopefully Rendezvous will be enough, as I don't need nearly as big a range as the 150ft provided by the base station.

Andrew
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Make sure your iBook can take an AE card. If it's an older one (read: G3) it won't.