redoing the family room this summer....tv choice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
do i go 50 inch dlp rptv (rear projection)

here

or 50 inch lcd rptv

here

dlp is alittle more, but supposively has darker blacks

lcd will either be slightly cheaper or will be the same price as dlp, but will come with HDTV integrated (no box top needed)

(new models coming in summer for both dlp and lcd...dlp should have better chip and 7 color wheel at that time, lcd should have improved blacks and integrated HDTV tuner at that time)

linkage

more linkage

i like the fact that they are much thinner and much lighter than crt based direct view tvs (and bigger size) and also crt rptv

thoughts would be appreciated

g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Personnaly i will go for the LCD one, rear projection TV are poor under daylight condition.

Anyway it's just my advice.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Both are projection screen. They just project using different means. Anyway, most of the projection screen HDTV's I've seen are actually pretty decent unless you have sunlight on the screen, but then again no TV can deal with that.

I'd go with the LCD. It's cheaper and apparently better. Just make sure it's 1920x1080. That's really the big metric for me. I want resolution!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Both are projection screen. They just project using different means. Anyway, most of the projection screen HDTV's I've seen are actually pretty decent unless you have sunlight on the screen, but then again no TV can deal with that.

I'd go with the LCD. It's cheaper and apparently better. Just make sure it's 1920x1080. That's really the big metric for me. I want resolution!

You are right, rear projection, however real LCD screen are much more expansives ...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    buy a nice bright projector...

**** this tv-box crap...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    there is an incredibly knoledgeable forum on the topic of hdtv, and all aspects therein at:

http://ilovehdtv.com/hdtvmagazine/forumgate.html

it is related to hdtv magazine
  • Reply 6 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sheesh, save yourself a few thousand and buy a nice LCD projector and a screen. larger picture, higher res. and it would take up less space.

i'm underwhelmed by all the LCD tv offerings i've seen.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

sheesh, save yourself a few thousand and buy a nice LCD projector and a screen. larger picture, higher res. and it would take up less space.

not to mention the $$$ya save, hay, ya could even buy a theater style popcorn popper
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have to chime in my $0.02.

Why rear projection? Why not mount a little DLP projector to your roof and use a wall? It's probably cheaper too. I have a OLD LCD projector and a big wall and it is still great. A little noisy, but technology has come a long way since I got my projector. They are very quiet now. I will never go back to large TV's again.

Oh yea, and CMOS projectors are supposed to come out soon. The cheap price of a LCD with the quality and resolution of a DLP. When those come out, I will upgrade.

EDIT: Alcimedes, you type too fast! I actually did research.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

give me some models to check out...please

how noisey?? fine for tv and movies and such?? wires??

it is easiest to go with what you know...convince me to try a projector...thanks

g
  • Reply 10 of 10
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    these things are usually wisper quite -- they do have a fan to cool their lamp (which may occationally need to be replaced...every 2000-3000 hours running at about $400 each time :/)...watching tv 24/7 is sort of out of the question...

Standard wiring (AFAIK)...