Save your Applecare proof of purchase!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Man this pissed me off...

I recently sold my old Titanium Powerbook over Ebay. Prior to selling, I thought I was having problems with trackpad (think it just turned out that it was misfunction due to heat or something, it remedied itself). So while I had TWO different people on the phone I had asked about selling/transferring Applecare. Both of them said, "oh its no problem, you can have as many names as you want on Applecare, wont be a big deal". Implying that basically what'd they do is keep my name on there, and simply add the new owners name. I remember them specifically saying that "Applecare is attached to the machine not the owner".

So in packing everything up to ship off I think I inadvertantly THREW AWAY my goddamn receipt. Guess what? Applecare wanted me to send in a written notice with proof of purchase. I went around and around with them, offered to fax in my drivers license, social security whatever to prover that it was me. They didn't care, they wanted proof of purchase to TRANSFER THE NAME.

Theres the key. Transfer the name. After 2 hours on the phone and 3 transfers, heres the end result.

I can't get the name "transferred" without following specifically the Terms of Agreement by faxing in what they request (name, serial, proof etc.) BUT get this. The guy can still call up and get Applecare for the machine without having to transfer the name. They'll just ask for the serial number and go ahead and service him. Basically what I was told in the first place. Sigh.

So ALL that for nothing really. Seems like in order for him to take adavantage of Applecare, then we don't have to do anything. Which no one bothered pointing out until the last guy I talked to. God what a waste of time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Are you talking about the purchase receipt of the AppleCare or the Certificate of Enrollment?

The Certificate of Enrollment is pretty much THE ONE to keep.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    they were asking for purchase receipt