idea for iTunes (free stuff)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How do you get more traffic on iTunes ??

How about giving somethings away for free ~!~

Some ideas below:

A) Have a deal with a network (such as NBC) to alow free tv show theme songs (Friends.. ER... Will & Grace...West Wing...)

iTunes gives them an Ad on their site

NBC gives out very ceap contracts to the songs

B) Ring tones for phones (Verizon, Sprint PCS, AT&T...)

C) "Jay Leno MP3/AAC Monologues"

i.e. Leno- ""After failing to win a single state on Tuesday, John Edwards described his campaign as 'The Little Engine That Could.' Afterward, Bush called him and said, 'You're not going to believe this, but I'm reading that book right now.'""

D) Sounds of a Windows PC crashing

E) Other little free things like: "happy birth day"..."here comes the bride"

F) Maybe have a free (if not free 50 cents) sports team of the week i.e. "Ohio State Fight Song "

G) Martha Stewart self help tips (sorry, had to do it)

H) On a serious note: maybe even a speach like Dr Martin Luther King

WHAT DO YOU THINK.... WILL THIS AT LEAST GET PEOPLE TO "TEST OUT" THE SITE ??!?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Moving to Digital Hub.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I'd be interested in seeing Apple partner with Amazon to provide the physical CD along with an instant download of the music. Sounds a little contradictory at first, but I think it would work out well.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Freebies are cool. I would bite.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Having some free downloads would be cool.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    that would be cool, but they need to also think about movie studios,

James bond theme, indiana jones, and so on
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I'd be interested in seeing Apple partner with Amazon to provide the physical CD along with an instant download of the music. Sounds a little contradictory at first, but I think it would work out well.

How would you want that to work? Would the total cost be:

1 The cost of the iTunes d/l + the cost of the CD (maybe with a little discount) -- ie the only advantage is not having to search on two sites for the same thing (iTMS as well as Amazon)

2 The cost of the CD (maybe with a little premium) -- ie the d/l is just a convenience
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    apple should join up with pepsi and give away like 100 million songs or something... oh wait....
  • Reply 8 of 12
    the guys who wrote "Happy Birthday" have become very wealthy from people who assumed their tune is under public domain.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Freebies are cool. I would bite.

true dat. ditto for me
  • Reply 10 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well, seems like this was a good enough idea to implement...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    One free download of an Audible book may get people hooked on the idea of listening to books.

Also throw in a free download of a Jobs' keynote presentation and the RDF will be complete.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Isn't this already started with select free downloads of *real* music?

Gimmicks and promotions aren't Apple's style. They want to reinvent the way people Acquire and Use music. If they had ring tones, the nightmare of phone integration would get even larger. I don't want MY iTunes bloated with a bunch of features I can't use.

Happy Birthday song? Since when do people carry of tape or cd of this to parties? People generally SING this.

As for things like Leno and Job's speech. There are websites that host this stuff. Unless there is PROFIT in it, they won't bother. If they give out free tracks of REAL music (like they do currently) then they will get you to buy some. What is there to buy if you liked SJ's speech at macworld? See my point?

iDunno. Let Apple marketing do their magic. More free things in time. For now though, money money money money money money is the mantra.