Dual G5 2GHz has turned into a hair dryer...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Yikes, My Dual G5 has turned into a hair dryer... and froze like a turnip.

Not sure if its OS or mechanical...

This started last night, while logged out. And then again today while logged in and running Nothing... Seems like a heat issue? Its unplugged at the moment, so its time to scour the forums to figure this out...

The main symtem other that a system freeze is that the fans are blowing at Full Bore...

Tears, Bloody Tears... _:cry:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    first, if under warranty of any sort, call apple.

note: as a last resort...

personally, one thing i would try is the reset button on the motherboard (somewhere). yes, it'll nuke all settings software AND hardware to their default settings, but it kinda sounds like that's what you need. please note that you had better try everything else first. there is a reason they call this the "button of last resort."
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Check all the wires you can see too. My G5 did that too right before...

Just to be safe.\

EDIT: Have you tried running thermograph? Might try running that quickly and shutting down. That will tell you the temperature of many sensors.

Great. As I type this, my G5 fans are spinning up!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Sounds like you have the "Black Screen of Death." Check out this thread and check out Apple's support discussion pages for G5 Displays. In the short term I have found pressing the reset button on the mother board usually gets it back, but long term this will only get worse and you need to have the video card replaced.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

In the short term I have found pressing the reset button on the mother board usually gets it back

Yes, still under warrantee. Thank my heavenly stars...

Called, Apple Care folks, reset the PMU button (I believe thats right name for the reset button on the logic board. Its near the ram, behind the removable fan, and very close to where the power comes in. A little tiny white button)

Worked for about five minutes, back to a frozen screen, if a screen, No chime on restart, if it would restart... Sounding bad... Everything had worked until the processors warmed up, which kicked on the fans to high heaven...

With this I carried my 50 LBS crate to the local Apple store, and it looks like I'm going to get a processor or two, and possibly a new MLB as well...

Going to have to think about adding the extended plan within the next month before my 3 month anniversary comes up!

Thank you all for your advice, Ken
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Have you tried running thermograph? Might try running that quickly and shutting down. That will tell you the temperature of many sensors.

How or what is running thermograph?

Thanks

Not that I'll really be able to try this out for a few days...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_ken_Cheez

Going to have to think about adding the extended plan within the next month before my 3 month anniversary comes up!

The people at the Palo Alto Apple Store insist you have until the end of the first year. I'll be holding them to that.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

The people at the Palo Alto Apple Store insist you have until the end of the first year. I'll be holding them to that.

yes, you have until the end of your first year of ownership to buy the extended warranty. that's because the first 90 days are just for complimentary phone support. if the machine goes dead during the first year, you can still get it repaired/replaced... it just gets a bit more difficult to do without the free phone support.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Thanks, for more info, wasn't looking forward to forking out more money this month. As for the phone support, they were kind, helpful... But, so are all of you folks as well...

Fortunately, there are two Apples stores near to me and several other Apple authorized repair centers as well. So the phone support in my case isn't the end of the world. I used the Apple Care Support only because I could.

As for my dual 2 GHz box, well I did buy if as a referb from Apple. (The only way I buy a new Mac) So maybe there were issues that were not met with the original refurbishment of this particular box. And in this case, I'll see how the rest of the year goes, but at the moment the extended warrantee sounds like a the only way to go...

As far as the temps of the Mac processors. Is there a way to find out what they are? Seems like the fans are controlled by temp. Is there a way to tap into this info?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    BTW It sure is nice to have at least two machines up and running at the same time. I'm on my trusty G4 400 AGP, (also was an referb, many years ago) that was upgraded to a dual 1.2 GHz.

If you use you box for your livelihood, have a backup Box.

In my case, I use one box for scanning images, (which ties up the box's PS App in the process) and the other box for image manipulation in PS and as a print server.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Have you tried running thermograph?

I found them, ThermographX

Sounds like a fun little utility, thanks again, Ken