Yet more "Evidence"???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Found this today....while not even really looking for it ....G5? This guys sounds like he KNOWS....he does state his stuff as an opinion....but the part about the G5, wow. Click on the "What not to buy" at the top.

<a href="http://macsupport.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.mac-upgrade.com/&quot; target="_blank">http://macsupport.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs ite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mac-upgrade.com%2F</a>

"Next, we come to the G4 desktop. Hold off until Macworld. If you are a pro or a serious gamer who will push the limits, I'd say definitely struggle along for a few weeks more.

There are several reasons for this. To begin with, Apple will announce faster CPUs at Macworld, including the 1.2 and 1.4 GHz G5 processor. Possibly the 1.6 GHz as well. Apple is desperate to break the gigahertz barrier as soon as possible, less for reasons of actual improved speed than because of the so-called Gigahertz Gap. Getting faster G4 desktops on the market is a marketing and public relations necessity for Apple.

Secondly, the G4 desktops are getting ... if not exactly long in the tooth, then a little bit stale. The current single processor G4s -- the 733 MHz and the 867 MHz -- were announced at Macworld New York way back in July. The higher-end dual 800 MHz model, announced at the same time, shipped a month later, on August 20. Both the iBook and the Titanium PowerBook, by contrast, received CPU and hard drive upgrades in mid-October. The iBook had a memory upgrade at that time and the PowerBook got a new optical CD-RW/DVD combo drive and more memory just this week.

Between the G5 chips and the fact that the G4 desktops have not received so much as a nudge in what will be half a year come Macworld SF, some sort of upgrade seems inevitable. Based on past cases, that means the 733 MHz will probably be dropped, the 867 MHz model pushed into the US$1,700 entry-level slot and faster high-end models released"

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I am on the fence with this one.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Sounds to me like he reads the Register just like the rest of us.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Entirely possible he sees all the same rumors we do and assumed one/some of them to be accurate. At this point, I haven't seen anything definitive. Knowing Motorola and all the problems they've had lately (just keeping people on the payroll), I have to say the odds are squarely against them announcing the immediate or near-immediate availability of an entirely new processor like the G5. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finally get past the GHz barrier with the G4, maybe up to 1.2 GHz perhaps -- it's long overdue after all, definitely short of a "great" accomplishment -- we'll just have to wait a few more days.

I think the new LCD iMac is the most likely new product candidate, because of the proof of Apple ordering the displays and the quality of the source (analyst from Morgan Stanley or one of those big financial brokerage houses - I forget which)...

...unfortunately I can't (and really don't want to at this point) convince my Mom to get one of these new puppies, because she's convinced she can learn how to use a PC (after struggling with Macs on even the most basic tasks) and wants to be able to open all her friends' stupid email attachments. Great reason to switch eh, gotta have those .exe files.

• Reply 4 of 7
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Buy her VPC 5 for OS X. Double click lauches VPC 5
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    Is it me or does this preson seem to flip flop between the G4 and G5.

Can't quite exactly figure out what he is trying to say.

Cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Cobra:

<strong>Is it me or does this preson seem to flip flop between the G4 and G5.

Can't quite exactly figure out what he is trying to say.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He does. I think he might be saying, "I think G5, but if not then this G4". But either way, he sure could've written it more clearly.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    He's flipping, he's flopping, he dont know what the f*ch he's talking about.

This is nonsense, just evidence that someone else reads the same crap we do.

Even print magazines have taken to quoting this crap now, MacUser in the UK regularly cites MOSR as an informed source!?