renice question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
which one gives a higher priority- -20 or +20 for renice?

also, i get this type of message alot: sudo: /var/run/sudo writable by non-owner (040777), should be mode 0700

Passwordostdrop: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or directory

but it seems to do the command i gave it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    renice -20 is highest priority. Negative numbers are higher priorities with -20 the highest.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

which one gives a higher priority- -20 or +20 for renice?

also, i get this type of message alot: sudo: /var/run/sudo writable by non-owner (040777), should be mode 0700

Password: postdrop: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or directory

but it seems to do the command i gave it

What's the command? Are you sending mail?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    an easy way to remember priorities, and niceness, is a very kind process (ie, high nive value) lets all the other processes take away its processor time. a mean process (ie, low nice value) tries to horde the processor all to itself, selfishly.

you can try fixing permissions, to get rid of that first message. failing that, manually chmod the directory, like this:

sudo chmod 0700 /var/run/sudo

the second one looks like postfix or sendmail (or whatever your mail server is?) is not installed correctly, or a config file is pointing to the wrong (and non existant) place.