Removing Grease Stains On Keyboard Keys

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

First off, I hope this is the correct forum to post this message in.

What I was hoping someone could help me with is that I currently have a few keys on my Ti Powerbook keyboard (for example, my spacebar) that are a bit greased up. That is, they have like a grease stain from my fingers. I was wondering if anyone knew how to clean\

emove these sorts of stains without damaging the keys of the keyboard?

Secondly, if I have scratches on my Ti Powerbook, is there a way to remove them via a paint or official service center that can help me?

Thanks for reading,

Wayne

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Hint: When you're surfing the web for pr0n, lube up with KY or vaseline, not 10W40 or axle grease. A plastic sheet over the keyboard may also help.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    You know, it would actually be useful if you gave an answer that helped in solving the problem.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I think the hand oils really get absorbed into the plastic, making it extremely difficult to remove. I clean my keyboard once a year with isopropyl or ethyl alcohol and it removes some of the oils (whatever isn't absorbed), but most of it is just permanently stuck into the plastic.

For the paint, I know of tipaint.com but I've also heard bad things about them. Probably if you go to some hobby shop or look for model paints, they will do the job (just find the right color).
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

I think the hand oils really get absorbed into the plastic, making it extremely difficult to remove. I clean my keyboard once a year with isopropyl or ethyl alcohol and it removes some of the oils (whatever isn't absorbed), but most of it is just permanently stuck into the plastic.

For the paint, I know of tipaint.com but I've also heard bad things about them. Probably if you go to some hobby shop or look for model paints, they will do the job (just find the right color).

Where can I get ethyl alcohol or isopropyl? I don't even know what the second one is. Ethyl...do you inhale it after your done cleaning your keyboard?

I never thought grease was absorbed into the keys, I always thought it was just a buildup...I didn't think plastic was porous enough.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Ethyl alcohol = ethanol = drinking alcohol, is a good solvent thus a good cleaner. I just use industrial grade pure denatured ethanol from the lab, don't know if just anyone can buy it (but it is cheap since it isn't drinkable).

Isopropyl alcohol = isopropanol = rubbing alcohol, you can get this anywhere. It's a better solvent than ethanol.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I used to clean it with just rubbing alcohol. It really does work quite well.

Getting absorbed into the keyboard is absolute nonsense, you just have to clean it very thoroughly.

Now I don't have to use it anymore because my hands are really dry. So dry that I don't even leave fingerprints behind.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    but whatever you do, don't get the alcohol on the screen or trackpad. it'll eat away at the plastic coating. again... DON'T GET IT ON THE SCREEN OR TRACKPAD!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I tried all the methods suggested and spent ten minutes scrubbing with rubbing alcohol with no obvious improvement.

What I did think to use though was the Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean. I LOVE this product, and sure enough it took off all my grease stains in less than a minute My keyboard is now absolutely grease free.
  • Reply 9 of 9

You can try product like Innospray B600 which removes grease stains and fingerprints marks.  For removing grease satins spray the solution on surface and wipe it with dry cloth. It is also useful for cleaning   waterproof surfaces like handrails, elevators, kitchens etc.