FCE...Green Screen Effect?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is it possible with Final Cut Express 1.0 to do a "green screen" effect. What I am hoping to do is record people in front of a green screen, then put the iTunes visualizer in place of the green for the background of the person. I hope you can do this, but the book I bought didn't say whether or not you could, so instead of buying a $45 book, I will ask here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    I saw these guys at MacWorld this January. It is an iMovie only effect but I guess you could then import into FCE. It looked slick. There may be a FCE effect available but if not you could give this a try. Good luck.

eZedia iMovie blue/green screen effect

bob spears

• Reply 2 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    you can do green and blue screen effects in fce. its under effects somewhere--just look around. the effect has been in there from day 1 of 1.0 i believe.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    You're talking about color keying. Yes, this is available in FCE.

Effects -> Video Filters -> Key -> Color Key

Play around with the other filters in the Key category also and you'll find FCE can do a fantastic job.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    part of the trick in good green/bluescreen chroma-key work is backlighting

make sure your actors are at least partially backlit so you can extract them at the 'halos'

(otherwise, hair and some edge detail can easily be lost against the screen)

and unless you want actors to seem perforated, make sure nobody wears the key colour

(even to the point of choosing an alternate key colour if eyes might match.)

otherwise, be creative and experiment with settings for best effect

post results!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    keep in mind that keying is really an art, and it can take a LONG time to master. also, final cut is only so great--youre not gonna get hollywood quality keys (youre not using film, and youre not using shake).
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Thanks, that is very helpful. I will try and post results, although it won't be for awhile probably.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

Is it possible with Final Cut Express 1.0 to do a "green screen" effect. What I am hoping to do is record people in front of a green screen, then put the iTunes visualizer in place of the green for the background of the person. I hope you can do this, but the book I bought didn't say whether or not you could, so instead of buying a $45 book, I will ask here.

You have actually figured out one of the biggest tricks to good keying with digital video. Using green screen NOT blue. Most DV cameras destroy the blue channel and make it VERY hard to key out blue screens (I know from first hand pain). Green is much easier to work with when filming with DV.

Second, if you want a GREAT keying program that works with FCP or FCE check out the new DV Matte Pro from http://www.dvgarage.com/. I purchased this plug-in about a month ago and it saved my butt; as well as being one of the best keying apps out their for working with DV. Most keying programs and techniques are geared towards good film quality keys. This plug-in was designed for DV.

The one draw back is the cost $199, but I estimate that it saved way more money than that in the time it saved me. It also comes with this great tutorial that teaches you how pull a good key.

Best of luck!

- G in the S