Smooth text in Photoshop CS

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I make text chrisp and smooth like in Illustrator. I thought CS had the feature to "rasterize" (<-- is that the world), the text.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    You are talking about the difference between vector based illustrations (Illustrator) and image based (photoshop). I assume you are talking about when you enlarge an image you get pixels on the edge. You cant help that, it has to do with resolutions and stuff like that. If you are talking about text that you put in in an image, make sure that you have the "anti-alias" option selected, that should smooth the edges of your text.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Yeah, vector. I thought I read somewhere that Vector text rendering or whatever was going to be implemented into the CS version of Photoshop.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Text layers have always (well at least 7.0 and later) been vetor like. Until you rasterize it, it will act like a vector and you can resize it as you wish without pixelization. If you are doing text at 72dpi then it will be pixelated no matter what. Work at 180...or 300 (preferable) if you want smooth stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    But text still looks like ass when printed from photoshop. Anyone know how to solve that? I've had to use Illustrator to get clear looking text upon printout.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

But text still looks like ass when printed from photoshop. Anyone know how to solve that? I've had to use Illustrator to get clear looking text upon printout.

Looks fine for me. I mean not as perfect as it looks on the screen, but I assumed that was just the printer, it normally looks pretty good. I always get a warning saying my printer doesn't have postscript support and all that junk, so I'd imagine that would make it not look as good.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Looks fine for me. I mean not as perfect as it looks on the screen, but I assumed that was just the printer, it normally looks pretty good. I always get a warning saying my printer doesn't have postscript support and all that junk, so I'd imagine that would make it not look as good.

Print out the same text in Illustrator and see how much of a difference there is.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I'm actually out of ink at the moment but I will at school tomorrow in desktop publishing and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully your wrong, but I doubt you'd randomly lie to me
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Hopefully your wrong, but I doubt you'd randomly lie to me

I don't know what you're talking about... It must be the packets clogging up your internet connection.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    In PhotoShop if you build your Vector objects or text and don't raster them you can save them out as a PhotoShop EPS and it will have an option you can select that says "Include Vector Data". This should allow you to print it from Quark or InDesign without having the text rastered so it looks crisp. The only problem with this is if you reopen the file in PhotoShop it will go ahead and Raster the text. I have never printed anything straight out of PhotoShop (I always use Quark or InDesign) but my guess is that it goes ahead and rasters the text.

I recently did some work for a company whose Graphic Design built an entire brochure in PhotoShop. She set all the type in PhotoShop as well and then saved it as a PhotoShop EPS with Vector Data. Of course there were changes to be made as far as copy and colors and then it was a real mess. Plus some RIP's don't like these kind of files.

If you are working on something for print I would never set the type in PhotoShop. The only reason to ever set type in PhotoShop is if you want to have embossed type or some special effect that can't be created in Illustrator. Lots of people set type in PhotoShop and then gripe about it not looking crisp. If you are working on something for the print medium then I would make sure I knew the difference between Raster and Vector. Many people don't know and they often use them in the wrong situations.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    It may be possible that you have an improper setting on the text for how it is rendered. Photoshop gives you the ability to change the "anti-aliasing method" on different text. Select your text layer. In the upper tool bar (under the menu bar) you will see several text options. There is a drop down menu item with 2 lowercase "a"s to its left. If "None" is what is selected, that will be causing the jaggedness. Switch it to one of the other options ("Sharp" is fine). Not sure if you messed with this or not, but worth a suggestion.