iPod mini/Muvo2NX Microdrive in Digital Rebel?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sorry if there has been a thread about this. I've seen an unusually high amount of Hitachi 4GB Microdrives (the same used in the iPod mini and new Creative Labs Muvo NX2) and I was wondering if anyone has tried popping one of these $800+ puppies into a Canon digital Rebel or if it would be worth it. What is the speed like vs. something like Lexar 40X media? Just curious. I can't bring myself to tear open an iPod mini, so I might jump on that Muvo for $200 and rip it apart...muahahahaha.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Soooo a month and a half ago

Don't tamper with the iPod mini. The Microdrive inside has been toggled into a mode that doesn't work with most digital cameras. Get the Muvo2 from Amazon for $200.

No way it'll be as fast as 40x CF cards. In most cameras, it'll be written to at about 1.5 MB/s, which is plenty fast for most people. The thing blazes in Kodak's SLRs at about 4 MB/s though, so it is capable of a lot more. Most 40x cards are capable of about 6 MB/s writes.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Soooo a month and a half ago

Don't tamper with the iPod mini. The Microdrive inside has been toggled into a mode that doesn't work with most digital cameras. Get the Muvo2 from Amazon for $200.

No way it'll be as fast as 40x CF cards. In most cameras, it'll be written to at about 1.5 MB/s, which is plenty fast for most people. The thing blazes in Kodak's SLRs at about 4 MB/s though, so it is capable of a lot more. Most 40x cards are capable of about 6 MB/s writes.

A HA, there it was. Thanks for the link Moderator Emeritus. I must have been in Italy during that conversation.