Stupid Lawsuits

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
NJ sues Nissan over stolen headlights

Quote:

NEWARK, N.J. -- New Jersey authorities sued Nissan North America Inc. on Monday, alleging the automaker failed to warn customers that the super-bright headlights on its Maximas were hot targets for thieves.

The suit, filed in Superior Court in Somerset County, also alleges Nissan profited by having customers purchase anti-theft kits that should have been provided for free. The company's dealerships also profited by performing repair work on cars victimized by thieves, state Attorney General Peter Harvey said.

"We allege the company sold cars with these fancy lights, but kept consumers in the dark about how attractive the headlamps were to thieves," said Reni Erdos, director of the state Division of Consumer Affairs, which filed the suit. "Nissan's actions, or lack thereof, rendered consumers vulnerable to the criminals who targeted their vehicles."

Ok...now remember the article about the iPod becoming popular among thieves (in U.K.)?

How long until we see:

Quote:

Boston, MA -- Massachusetts authorities sued Apple Computer Inc. on Monday, alleging the computermaker failed to warn customers that the super-stylish design of its iPod and iPod Mini were hot targets for thieves.

"We allege the company sold music players with these fancy designs, but kept consumers in the dark about how attractive the iPods were to thieves," said Ben Dewey of lawfirm Dewey, Cheatum & Howe, which filed the suit. "Apple's actions, or lack thereof (by not building in anti-theft features), rendered consumers vulnerable to the criminals who targeted their iPods."

Sue everyone. Hey, sue me for copyright violation. </parody>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Interesting find! More of an Apple Outsider topic though. I'll toss it over for you.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    my favorite moron law stories ..

a woman who sued target or similar. she had her kids there when she was shopping. her brat run to her feet so that she fell down and brake her ankle.

bring your badly behaving, loud brats to target and it is the STORE's fault that you can't make your kids behave?

a girl argued with her boyfriend in a restaurant. she dropped her drink on the floor. 30 seconds later she slipped on it.

so drop your drinks on the floor? shouldnt it be the restaurant sueing you for making their property dirty and scaring out customers (i assume she was shouting too). not the customer..

the restaurant was supposed to have cleaned the room in 30 seconds?

and as SHE had spilled the drink, how come she was supposed to have no clue it was thre?

a third bad story .. another americanata, but from italy, earlier this year. a pensionate sued his bar keeper. he had risen the price of the cappuccino 23 cents in 2002. the pensionate won the case.

so, he won 23 cents back?

he can't have won it 365x23 cents. if he does not like that the price of the coffee has risen so much, EVEN if he was a moron or worse, he should have changed the bar. there is NO place in italy with more than 4 inhabitants that would have only ONE bar. gosh.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    http://www.overlawyered.com

if you're into this stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    How 'bout this. 6 million becuase the cops stopped a school shooting.

Foiled our son's school-shooting plan? We'll sue

This February, Sacramento and Elk Grove police arrested two 15-year-olds who were allegedly planning a Columbine-style attack at their high school. After a tip from a fellow student, they found evidence that the two had attempted to burglarize a sporting goods store for weapons, and one of the them had admitted to his father and others that he intended to shoot black students.

They've been rewarded with a $6 million claim that is the precursor to a lawsuit. The school district is being blamed for failing to provide adequate counseling in advance of the incident, and the Sacramento police are being sued for their comments on the case. "Either the police and now the DA have made a mistake on the hate-crime motivation, or the minor is lying to his parents and to me," the lawyer, J. Jeffries Goodwin of the law firm California Fen-Phen Litigation Associates, explained. (Ramon Coronado and Gwendolyn Crump, "Accused student is called victim", Sacramento Bee, Feb. 19; Ramon Coronado, "Students face racial charges", Sacramento Bee, Mar. 2; Sam Stanton, Emily Bazar and Michael Kolber, "Plan to attack school alleged", Sacramento Bee, Feb. 11) (via Jacobs).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    This stuff is all gold, I'm writing a paper on the injustice of stupid lawsuits right now. What a coincidence! Thanks for all the good stuff guys!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    pssst.... New Jersey... address the real !#%&@$! problems with your auto insurance rates!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    roffroff Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

my favorite moron law stories ..

a woman who sued target or similar. she had her kids there when she was shopping. her brat run to her feet so that she fell down and brake her ankle.

Its break, not brake. And I'll sue.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ROFF

Its break, not brake. And I'll sue.

sorry, i meant broke. (ie. the imperfect).